Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

About to do baby backs for the first time

Options
tim665214
tim665214 Posts: 6
I have a large egg, and I normally do full size pork ribs 4 or 5 at a time, so I use a rib rack.  However, I would like to try out a couple of racks of baby-backs.  Since I can fit them on my egg without a rack, would that be the preferred method to do them?

Thanks

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I usually lay them flat. Bone side down and cover the edges of the grid where the plate setter doesn't block direct heat to prevent the ribs overcooking on the ends. I typically go 4-5 hours at 250-270. You can turbo them 350 in just under 2 hours. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    As long as you're cooking indirect, I don't think it really matters - the rack just lets you fit more.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I prefer em flat and if I have several racks I'll use a raised grid to fit all of them. I've used the rack and it works but I didn't like how the ends turned out. Maybe if they were rotated mid way they would've been better. I just like em flat. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I'm a 2-2-1 guy myself. Had great results over the past few months!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Remove the membrane from the back.  It only takes a minute or so per rack and is easy to do after you've done a couple.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    Go 250-275 start checking them after four hours as soon as they pass the bend test sauce if your going to set the sauce and pull them off 

but as stated earlier put foil under any areas that may hang over the plate setter 
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM