Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump question

Options
Lecky
Lecky Posts: 60
edited March 2015 in EggHead Forum
hi all, I've been using wicked good for years and was thinking about mixing it up. I was going to order a few bags of rockwood and ozark oak. My question is I love how mild wicked good is and I don't like my food to taste like smoke, can anyone give me any ideas if they are comparable to wicked good? I've tried some lump before that was really overpowering and I really disliked it. Thanks 

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I've never tried wicked, but you'd be hard pressed to be more neutral than rockwood. Got my first bags of OO yesterday, itching to give it a try. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Both you mentioned are more mild than wicked good.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Naked Whiz charcoal database 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    I'm sold on Rockwood. Burns sooooo mild and clean.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Be sure and check the date on the whiz reviews...some are old...like @chubbs
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    henapple said:
    Chubbs said:
    @Henapple is right. I have grown old waiting on the Ozark oak delivery to the Carolina's. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Lecky
    Lecky Posts: 60
    Options
    henapple said:
    Chubbs said:
    I did notice that, thank you.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    henapple said:
    Chubbs said:
    It does seem to be way outdated. 

@lecky - I agree with @lit in RW & OO being milder than Wicked Good. Nothing wrong with WG but I think you will be equally happy with either of your new choices.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    @theyolksonyou , you will enjoy the OO, you don't have to add smoking wood, it will impart a nice smoke without.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    @Lecky-I use and have reasonable access to all three.  Regarding the "smoke neutrality" of each, I find no discernible difference between WGWW and Rockwood with OO being a bit more smoke flavored.  None are over-powering.  And for the record, stepping into a lump discussion is like religion or a cesspool here.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Guess I'm a voice from the other side who wait for their lump to burn off the "bad" smoke and then add several fist fulls of wood chips or huge chunks of various wood so to SMOKE the meat. I have to ask - what is this extreme need for smoke free lump when doing traditional BBQ?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @RRP, I think it is folks trying to add the smoke they want rather than taking what the lump gives them. RO does a great job with pizza as far as my family is concerned. SWMBO likes Maple Leaf for chicken, ML is very neutral. Pulled pork seems to be OK with anything, maybe because I have enough apple in the firebox it even overpowers the lump. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @rrp - I have to agree with @skiddymarker on flavoring with wood of choice and not competing with the smoke taste of the lump. Out of all the post you see here probably only 50% of them I would consider traditional bbq. Not knocking traditional bbq flavors cause they are great but if I'm cooking seafood,lamb,veggies and some styles of chicken I want to impart my own flavors and not compete with the smokey smell of the lump and there are times when no wood is added and the lump is enough of a flavor.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.