Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Restaurant Depot

Options

Many forum members have posted that they buy meat at Restaurant Depot. I just checked and there's one in central Denver, about 20 minutes from me. However, their website claims it's members-only and the member qualification requires that you present a business license or similar evidence that you are in the food service business. Are the forum members who shop there in the restaurant or catering businesses?

Littleton, Colorado

LBGE

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    yes but there are many ways to get one. We used to own a restaurant and still do some catering so ours was easy. My wife does all the catering for the high school theater booster group and we got a card for them too. You can use almost any club or group with a Tax ID# to get one. Kids baseball league concessions? Scouts? School booster clubs? Church? Office with a break room? They really aren't picky. Bring them a tax ID, tell them you do food service for that business and they will give you a card. 

Also, I think a $35 yearly membership to KCBS will get you a day pass any time you want to go. RD is a cool place but you are buying in bulk. It's not really practical to shop for a family there. Costco or Sams or something similar is probably more likely to fit the bill. I used to buy brisket there but now I buy them at Costco. I'm headed down today because they have whole pork bellies for $2.39 lb. I asked at my fancy grocery store over the weekend- $6.99. I wonder if they want to buy some from me :smiley: 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Membership in the Kansas City BBQ Society would be the easiest way if you have no affiliation with a restaurant.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'll shoot you some pics later of what they have and prices. Depending on what you like to buy, they are very similar priced to Sam's or Costco. They don't sell steaks, they sell sub primals. If you want a steak, you are going to have to buy the entire $100+ sub primal and cut them yourself.

last time I was there (a month ago) Superior Choice Briskets were $3.67 (Costco was $4.09 for prime this week- I didn't look at their choice), Butts were $1.79 (2 packs only), belly was $2.39. 

Anything you want me to get you a price on? That way you can compare with what you can get now. 

I'll be there in a few hours.

• grege345
    Options
    I'd certainly be buying more belly to make my own bacon at that price. Holy crap. I've been doin Canadian bacon because of the price. @The Cen-Tex Smoker

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited March 2015
    Options
    grege345 said:
    I'd certainly be buying more belly to make my own bacon at that price. Holy crap. I've been doin Canadian bacon because of the price. @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Yeah- it's insane at grocery stores around here. Apparently, they have gotten the word that bacon is hot among home chefs.  The funny part is, I bought their store made bacon for $5.99 and they wanted to sell the me the whole belly for $6.99. I had a short chat about the economics of that but the counter was 30 people deep so I just let it go. How they can take the whole belly, cure it, smoke it, slice it and sell it cheaper than they will sell me the raw belly in cryo just seems stupid. They would never be $2.39 anyway so really I was just talking to hear myself sound smart

That's the real beneift of RD- They sell at the commodity price plus wholesale markup. They don't raise the price of bellies because food nerds found out they are cool. Their costs follow the commodity cost trends so you don't pay the hipster price for anything there.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    ...and no sales tax
  • grege345
    Options
    Legume said:
    ...and no sales tax
    ...and there is the kick in the balls. Lol

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Last time I was at RD, the bellies were cheap, but  you had to buy 50lbs.  SWMBO said no.  :s
    NOLA
  • Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @Class_of_75 I am in Denver as well. I have the KCBS membership. I HIGHLY recommend RD. Its like a toy store of meet for cooks. I have purchased packer brisket, BB and STL ribs, rib roast, scallops, pretty much everything...

On on another note I have a Costco membership as well. I went by there yesterday and all they carry is brisket flats. Can't order packers and the "butcher" at first didn't know what a packer brisket was. 

Again I recommend RD highly.
    LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • greenenvy
    greenenvy Posts: 87
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Yeah- it's insane at grocery stores around here. Apparently, they have gotten the word that bacon is hot among home chefs.  The funny part is, I bought their store made bacon for $5.99 and they wanted to sell the me the whole belly for $6.99. I had a short chat about the economics of that but the counter was 30 people deep so I just let it go. How they can take the whole belly, cure it, smoke it, slice it and sell it cheaper than they will sell me the raw belly in cryo just seems stupid. They would never be $2.39 anyway so really I was just talking to hear myself sound smart

That's the real beneift of RD- They sell at the commodity price plus wholesale markup. They don't raise the price of bellies because food nerds found out they are cool. Their costs follow the commodity cost trends so you don't pay the hipster price for anything there.

Always assumed it was just their way of using up nearly-expired inventory. Thus, cooked whole chicken at Costco is cheaper than buying the raw bird. Just speculation of course, but the only way it ever made sense to me.

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX

• Class_of_75
    Options
    Thanks for all the good feedback. This forum is an incredible resource.

Littleton, Colorado

LBGE

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    greenenvy said:
    grege345 said:

Always assumed it was just their way of using up nearly-expired inventory. Thus, cooked whole chicken at Costco is cheaper than buying the raw bird. Just speculation of course, but the only way it ever made sense to me.
    can be. We did that often at the grocery store/restaurant. Today's Ribeye is tomorrow's steak sandwich. It always helps to have an exit strategy for perishables or your will go broke.

The bellies are in cryo and will last months though. this place is super trendy and they definitely price by what's hot. Great place but I'm not paying $6.99 for the same exact belly you can buy for $2.39 down the road.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    ...and no sales tax
    you and I don't pay sales tax on most food in TX anyway. I'm exempt at Sam's and Costco too if using it for commercial purposes. I rarely do so I always pay the tax when it's for personal use. i'm not going to get in a scrap with the IRS over $8 in sales tax every few months

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Agree on the food, but I bought some non-food items last time there - I don't think they hit me with tax for that either, was kind of a weird surprise.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Legume said:
    Agree on the food, but I bought some non-food items last time there - I don't think they hit me with tax for that either, was kind of a weird surprise.

Because you have a business license, RD assumes everything is for resale.
    NOLA
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I am in Ca, and I have the KCBS membership,it was $35.00, and I did it all online. I bring my card to the front desk at RD, they confirm card and issue you a day pass, you shop, and EVERYTHING is wholesale, with no tax. You can use your card for a day pass once EVERY day if you wish. KCBS members also must pay in cash or debit, no credit cards. (At least in Ca). It is awesome, and the amount of food is staggering.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I went through the KCBS route. You'll save the $35 membership fee the first visit. 
  • BigKlu
    BigKlu Posts: 14
    Options
    Just a suggestion, on the other side of Missouri there is the St. Louis BBQ Society. $25 gets you a membership and access to RD similar to KCBS.  I joined a month ago and have been twice.  It is not just the price of the meat but cheese selection is awesome.  Want a whole lamb they have it,   Bought a whole packer brisket last trip for $3.69/lb which is good for this time of year.  Always looking for a deal and living outside STL it was great.  Word of caution as I assume this is national access but may want to check it out.
    XL BGE, Akorn and one very old Ducane... 
    HUSKER Football, UK Basketball (Went to 2 good sports schools)  
    Washington Mo.
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    They accept non-profit organizations too.  I took our HOA paperwork and tax info and got 2 membership cards.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @bigklu how long did it take you to get access? What did you have to do after registering?
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I enjoy the RD seafood dept. Got an insanely good deal on blue mussels.  Often get excellent shrimp for $2 less per lb. than Kroger.   Good scallops for 1/2 the price of Kroger.   Once they had octopus but I haven't seen it again. 
    Some things you can get in "normal" size packages for cheap: butter, cheese, fresh pasta.   Don't go on Friday or Saturday afternoon. It's a mad house. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Oh, I forgot something really important re RD.  Spices for cheap!  Got a huge container of ground ancho for $8 or $9.  Something fun to do is take a buddy who likes cooking with you to RD and divide up the larger packages.  Fun outing that doesn't necessarily involve alcohol.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Fun outing that doesn't necessarily involve alcohol...

But it often does. Always more expensive that way but I can rock the hell out of those free dirty coats they give you at the cooler entrance

• Class_of_75
    Options
    I joined the KCBS yesterday for $35 and am waiting for my membership card to arrive in the mail. I called the nearest RD and was told all I need is my card and I can come on down.

Littleton, Colorado

LBGE

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Membership in the Kansas City BBQ Society would be the easiest way if you have no affiliation with a restaurant.

I joined the KCBS to get access to the Restaurant Depot and to possibly start judging competitions maybe.  I haven't been there yet, but will soon. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Fun outing that doesn't necessarily involve alcohol...

But it often does. Always more expensive that way but I can rock the hell out of those free dirty coats they give you at the cooler entrance

Those coats look nasty.  I've only gone once, back in Feb, and I just wore a t-shirt, but it was a little chilly.  I'll bring my own pullover next time.
    Phoenix 
  • BigKlu
    BigKlu Posts: 14
    Options
    @bigklu how long did it take you to get access? What did you have to do after registering?
    I registered on line and then printed off my receipt and membership page and went that day and RD accepted that.  It took about 2 weeks to get the membership card.
    XL BGE, Akorn and one very old Ducane... 
    HUSKER Football, UK Basketball (Went to 2 good sports schools)  
    Washington Mo.