Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

In between these two ranges

Options
tarheelmatt
tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
Needing a new range, badly.  The elements are inconsistent and some times hangs on one setting.  I lowered the heat the other day to simmer something, and it didn't lower the heat, but kept at a blazing hell.  

The more expensive one has "True European Convection".  Not sure what that really means or is worth the extra coin or not over a standard convection.  However it does have a bridge for a griddle and the power boil is rated at 3600W instead of 3000 W.  Should make whatever is cooking come up to speed quicker.  The lesser amount range has the left front eye 1" larger.  Not sure if I'd miss that or not.  

Thinking about springing for the more expensive option.  
------------------------------
Thomasville, NC
My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
Instagram
Facebook
My Photography Site

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    The only thing I know about electric ranges is that they make me angry every time I use them. No chance to get a gas range? The gas company ran our line for free once we proved we were hooking 2 things to it. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    The only thing I know about electric ranges is that they make me angry every time I use them. No chance to get a gas range? The gas company ran our line for free once we proved we were hooking 2 things to it. 
    I'd like to have gas range, but I don't think I want to put much into this current location as we're planning to build something in the next two years.  

I don't mind the electric to much, just the one we have is getting inconsistent results.  Really bad with baking.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,173
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    I'd like to have gas range, but I don't think I want to put much into this current location as we're planning to build something in the next two years.  

You just answered your own question. If you are moving in a couple years, save the coin. 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Hi54putty said:

You just answered your own question. If you are moving in a couple years, save the coin. 
    Yep 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm confused
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    The only thing I'd say is that my oven doesn't see a lot of use. That's what the egg is for. I can see why you'd like the bridge option (only difference I see) but again a griddle on the egg works fine. Save the money and buy an outdoor griddle. Also agree with above. Better oven isn't helping the resale at all. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Well, I see that point, and one that I have thought about too, however we cook a lot and the current range gets on our nerves with its glitches.  

I will also get $130 or maybe more (depending on the model) for employee savings on my check, plus free shipping/install.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    The way it was explained to me, Euro convection started with smaller ovens and the element was in/around the fan unit. This ensures more precise temps almost everywhere in the oven. Our North American ovens tend to be larger and we traditionally have elements top and bottom, with the top doing double duty as a broiler. We have had both styles of convection. In our current Euro 3 element oven, SWMBO can put three sheet pans of cookies into the oven and they all finish at the same time. Would recommend the Euro style.  
    Ours is a double oven range, small one on the top - ideal for broiling and other smaller non-convection roasts or bakes. The convection oven is the lower large oven. I hate the glass cook top, would love it if this stove had coils or an induction top (gas is out of the question for our kitchen). SWMBO claims it is always clean looking - I tell her that's because no one ever uses the damn thing for anything other than boiling water. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,173
    Options
    The difference in price is 6 bags of Rockwood. I'd take the lump....
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    I'm confused
    About? 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

The way it was explained to me, Euro convection started with smaller ovens and the element was in/around the fan unit. This ensures more precise temps almost everywhere in the oven. Our North American ovens tend to be larger and we traditionally have elements top and bottom, with the top doing double duty as a broiler. We have had both styles of convection. In our current Euro 3 element oven, SWMBO can put three sheet pans of cookies into the oven and they all finish at the same time. Would recommend the Euro style.  
    Ours is a double oven range, small one on the top - ideal for broiling and other smaller non-convection roasts or bakes. The convection oven is the lower large oven. I hate the glass cook top, would love it if this stove had coils or an induction top (gas is out of the question for our kitchen). SWMBO claims it is always clean looking - I tell her that's because no one ever uses the damn thing for anything other than boiling water. 
    I really wanted the double oven model, but they get pricey too, even with my discount.  I like the smooth top actually as it is easier to clean.  The one burner we have, the larger one, gets atomic hot (but only on half the element).  

My wife loves to bake, me not so much.  I like the bridge as I cook a lot of breakfast at my house and really like that feature.  I don't fire my Egg up all the time, just for when I feel it is the right tool for the job.  LIke I said, I don't mind electric at all.  Would I like gas, yes, I'd love a nice 6 burner Viking or even the GE model.  However, I am perfectly fine with the electric.  A
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    two years ago i had to change out the electric to a new electric at camp, it crapped out just a few days before tday and i needed it quick. putting it in was the bad news, the good news is that the new electric is already destroying itself, i see propane in the near future. pretty sure its ge with the coils on top, have already replaced the coils and those stupid chrome baskets that are now wrapped in foil. the back is warpped from the heat, the led lights for burner on no longer work. its mostly due to the big heavey pots and cast iron pans we use at camp. you say yours still works, i would use it right to the end. they are just big electric toaster ovens with hot plates sitting on top =) start planning what you want in 2 years
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Let me make a counter point.  In 1989 we built a house that was going to last through retirement ... the company moved me four years later.  When we returned in 2000, we built a house that was going to last us six or seven years until retirement ... we're still in it 14 years later.  The counterpoint is that plans do change based on outside circumstances.

If your wife likes to bake and cook on the inside oven, treat her right and buy well above the minimum.  Even amortized over two years, the cost will fade out of the equation.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Skiddy hit it with the convection difference. True convection has an element behind the fan so heated air is pulled into the oven and moved around. Convection is basically regular operation with fan assist since the elements are at the top and bottom of the oven with a fan to blow air around. Electric ovens are actually better than gas since they hold temp better(the coil heats up more slowly keeping temperature changes less dramatic. In gas, combustion causes more dramatic swings and the environment is drier overall at baking temps). 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Let me make a counter point.  In 1989 we built a house that was going to last through retirement ... the company moved me four years later.  When we returned in 2000, we built a house that was going to last us six or seven years until retirement ... we're still in it 14 years later.  The counterpoint is that plans do change based on outside circumstances.

If your wife likes to bake and cook on the inside oven, treat her right and buy well above the minimum.  Even amortized over two years, the cost will fade out of the equation.
    when i bought my lacanche cluny 15 years ago part of the decision was that when i move its coming with me =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @Eggcelsior noted another good point, well in my neck of the woods it is a good point, most buy electric convection ovens with gas range tops. The range has great heat control, while the oven has very precise temp and moisture control.
    @tarheelmatt - if your wife bakes a lot, she will love convection and be orgasmic with Euro convection.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    I'm confused
    About? 
    Everything!

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    @Eggcelsior noted another good point, well in my neck of the woods it is a good point, most buy electric convection ovens with gas range tops. The range has great heat control, while the oven has very precise temp and moisture control.
    @tarheelmatt - if your wife bakes a lot, she will love convection and be orgasmic with Euro convection.  

We don't even need a new oven but now I am going to start looking for a Euro convection :wink:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tarheelmatt
    Options

We don't even need a new oven but now I am going to start looking for a Euro convection :wink:
    PM me your email and I can include you on my family and friends list for the GE Store.  Not sure how much of a discount you get, but it is worth a try.  

I know some have indicated to stray from getting a new oven now, but some likely don't understand the struggle with our current model.  The wife loves to bake (me not so much) and we do a lot of cooking inside as well.  I will likely pull the trigger on the Euro Conv. oven soon and take advantage of the free shipping.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I will note that if anyone is interested in my family and friend deal, just PM me your email, first, and last name for all types of GE appliances.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Thanks Matt!  

It sounds like the old one needs to be replaced, so if you have to spend some money anyway for $140 or so difference I would get the one with the features you want.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    The Euro convection term is interesting. I have a convection oven that fits the Euro label, but at the time it was just called convection.  Seems like the marketing guys have been busy.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    The Euro convection term is interesting. I have a convection oven that fits the Euro label, but at the time it was just called convection.  Seems like the marketing guys have been busy.
    Appears there are two types.  Elements on top and bottom with a fan then the Euro with an element behind the fan also to distribute heat.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site