Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Settings - Daisy Wheel to Smokeware Cap

Options
In another post, @Lit said that he had never switched to a stainless cap because he was so familiar with the settings on his Daisy Wheel.  That reminded me to do a comparison of the venting area between the two.  This is what I found:

Pulled my Ugly Daisy out of storage and did some measurements.  Since it's a casting, the measurements are subject to change based on the mold.  Looks like the petal holes were designed as a 3/4" by 1/2" eclipse ... that's about 0.3 square inches per hole ... with five petal holes, the petal-open position yields a 1.50 sq inch opening.

The Software cap has three one inch high slots.  So, if you open the Software cap until the openings are 1/2" wide, it's approximately the same as a daisy wheel with the petals fully open.

If the daisy wheel cap could be fully opened, the open area would be 8.6 sq inches.  Opening the daisy wheel cap fully is not possible because of the casting stop, so the effective opening is a little less than that.  Open up the Smokeware cap fully and the total open area is approximately 8.2 sq inches.  Thus, a fully open daisy wheel cap and a fully open Smokeware cap are approximately equal.

Now everyone can translate daisy wheel language.

As an aside, at what target temp do you remove your daisy wheel or Smokeware cap?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Well done, Tom! Your very last line throws me though. Didn't you mean at what point toward your target temp do you put your daisey wheel or Smokecap on?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Thank you. Very helpful info
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @RRP ... nope ... let me try again. 

Do you leave your daisy wheel on when your target temp is 750 degrees?  Or, do you remove it so that you can get that high? 

Thus, the question is aimed at finding out at what cooking temp you set the top vent amount by simply removing the daisy wheel.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,042
    edited March 2015
    Options

Do you leave your daisy wheel on when your target temp is 750 degrees?  Or, do you remove it so that you can get that high? 

Thus, the question is aimed at finding out at what cooking temp you set the top vent amount by simply removing the daisy wheel.
    Stainless is generally good for high temp applications.  At very high temps it can start to oxidize.

I do not know what grade steel the smokeware cap, but it is slightly magnetic so I am going to assume it is a 400 series stainless, probably 416 or something.  416 is a low cost easily machinable grade.  400 series grades also tend to have lower chromium content.  The higher the chromium the higher the scaling point (oxidation).  416 begins to oxidize over 1200 deg F in continuous use.

So in short, I would remove it if I am going over 1200 deg F.

As an aside the arimide fibers begin to degrade around 900 deg F.  So your gasket will go before your cap.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options

Stainless is generally good for high temp applications.  At very high temps it can start to oxidize.

I do not know what grade steel the smokeware cap, but it is slightly magnetic so I am going to assume it is a 400 series stainless, probably 416 or something.  416 is a low cost easily machinable grade.  400 series grades also tend to have lower chromium content.  The higher the chromium the higher the scaling point (oxidation).  416 begins to oxidize over 1200 deg F in continuous use.

So in short, I would remove it if I am going over 1200 deg F.

As an aside the arimide fibers begin to degrade around 900 deg F.  So your gasket will go before your cap.

im gonna need a dictionary 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited March 2015
    Options
    grege345 said:

im gonna need a dictionary 
    Sorry, got in my zone.

Remove Smokeware before you go nuclear.  At nuclear temps your gasket will die first.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    The top vent hole is 3.875" diameter which is 11.78 square inches.  That's a 43% increase when removing the cap  
  • RRP
    Options
    @grege345 no...maybe more than a dictionary - you see - if this goes on between this father and son who are both college degreed engineers then it will get reaaaaaaly deep! LOL
  • grege345
    Options
    Engineers? That explains it. Lol

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    All I know is that the daisy wheel works just fine. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    All I know is that the daisy wheel works just fine. 
    So does my Weber :tongue: However, I am selling that now after a few months with my egg.
  • Jeepster47
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @Terrebandit ... I'm not trying to argue for or against the Smokeware cap.  If it works for you then keep on using it ... more money to spend on other accessories that are more important to you.

But, now when someone posts that they had their petals fully open or partially open, I can visualize what that means on my SS cap.  And, was somewhat surprised to discover that a fully open daisy wheel matched a fully open SS cap.  I thought the SS cap was going to be more restrictive.

My large egg can achieve 500 degrees with the SS cap fully open, but much above that and the cap needs to come off.  That's why I asked what you do when cooking to high temps with either cap.

As to Ozzie ... don't encourage him ...

• Jeepster47
    Options
    The top vent hole is 3.875" diameter which is 11.78 square inches.  That's a 43% increase when removing the cap  
    @DoubleEgger ... Yep, so you can go much higher on temps with either cap off.  But, do you decide to take it off to achieve 500 degrees, 600 degrees, 700 degrees or never?

• Jeepster47
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Engineers? That explains it. Lol
    @grege345 ... you've seen some of the results of my work already ... on your job.

• grege345
    Options
    I should have been more clear. It's the civil engineer types that give me a good laugh on a regular basis. I have no problem with your prior work. Nothin runs like a CAT. Except those zero swings. Not a fan

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    RRP said:
    @grege345 no...maybe more than a dictionary - you see - if this goes on between this father and son who are both college degreed engineers then it will get reaaaaaaly deep! LOL
    I'm good.  We can talk aramids, esthers, olefins, polytetraflouraethelynes...
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    @DoubleEgger ... Yep, so you can go much higher on temps with either cap off.  But, do you decide to take it off to achieve 500 degrees, 600 degrees, 700 degrees or never?
    I've never taken the smokeware cap off and have been to 600+
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    I'm good.  We can talk aramids, esthers, olefins, polytetraflouraethelynes...
    Uhhh?  OK buddy - ya want to discuss transtions, the accuracy of "pi" after the 1,979 digit and say the meaning of life?

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Pre and post Smokeware I pull my cap off for temps above 400...just adjust the lump and bottom vent as necessary...pretty simple so no need to over think it.  I do that on plenty of other stuff.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @rrp it's been a while so I can only recite Pi to 1856 digits...
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @theyolksonyou never learned pi past 3.14.  Everyone knew that, memorized e to 15 decimals though ....  2.718281828459045

maybe @jeepster47 is right (1st time for everything) you shouldn't encourage me.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac I may have exaggerated my abilities by 1854 digits just to be a smart ass. I do know a little about polymers/fibers though. 
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    Man I was hoping I wouldn't need that algebra stuff on here. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited March 2015
    Options
    what if c.a.t. spelled dog?

(obscure but relevant movie reference to all this smarty pants talk)

I've got an imaginary cutting board for the first one who can name the movie.
    Phoenix 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Revenge of the Nerds 1 or 2? 
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    We have a winner.  It was Ogre in #2.  Nothin but the classics, lol.
    Phoenix 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Probably a good time to remind all that the pi day of the century is the day after the Salado Eggfest.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Probably a good time to remind all that the pi day of the century is the day after the Salado Eggfest.
    Oh, the Ides of March.  Beware!
    Flint, Michigan
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    blasting said:
    We have a winner.  It was Ogre in #2.  Nothin but the classics, lol.
    Wow, that's deep Ogre.