Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I know this is petty but ...

Options
everytime I slide the solid stainless vent at the bottom of my egg to the open position, the safety screen slides with it. Shouldn't these two slide independently of one another?
Laurens,SC

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    They are. The screen will eventually 'loosen' up. No worries.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    On some eggs they do.  On others they don't.  The vent/screen on my egg is tight, so this is what I use to make it a one-handed operation.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    They do on some, not on others. That's why they each have the tabs. You could try opening the track slightly with pliers. 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Mine stick together as well.  I can close the screen while holding the other one open, and then the screen stays as I adjust the solid one down.  I do like @Jeepster47 solution, I might give that a try next time I'm not using the DigiQ.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    On my large egg they slide independant of each other. Not so lucky on my mini. They slide together. Oh well, can't win them all. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    SGH said:
    On my large egg they slide independant of each other. Not so lucky on my mini. They slide together. Oh well, can't win them all. 
    Exactly opposite for me
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I'll go with "together" on my L. It can vary, depending on the direction. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Both my Large and Mini operate very well independently.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    On some eggs they do.  On others they don't.  The vent/screen on my egg is tight, so this is what I use to make it a one-handed operation.

Post of the Day! Genius! Thanks. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Mine works fine after adjusting a little. 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    henapple said:
    Mine works fine after adjusting a little. 

Nice looking patio, what is it?
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Your going to be unhappy when the rots out eventually.   Hey, what happened to the button to add pics?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Your going to be unhappy when the rots out eventually.   Hey, what happened to the button to add pics?
    It't the piece of paper above with the corner folded.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Mine both stick, but I am able to separate by using both hands if I  want them separated. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    How does it work from the floor?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Most of the time they both move at the same time on my eggs. I think I will have to live with it. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's