Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 Egg Club Question

Options
  So here's the question, if you had the choice of 2 eggs for an outdoor kitchen what size would they be and why?  

Comments

• shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    XL and Medium for me.  XL big enough for the larger cooks and holds a dump truck load of lump for long and slows, Medium is perfect size for 4 people and very efficient.  Would also make a great side burner during those large cooks. 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I have two larges, and I couldn't be happier. I think I am OCD because I like the fact they are EVEN. They look good in the table.  

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    If I were to it over again I would have bought another lg. nothing wrong with the small. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I have a large and a mini. Could not be happier. The mini gets all the small everyday cooks and the large gets the bigger low and slow cooks. Let me add this. I will always have a mini no matter how many of the other eggs I might have. The mini is just a bad a$$ searing machine and a absolute joy to cook on. My only regret about the mini is that I did not buy one years ago. If I did not have numerous other smokers in my arsenal, I would probably go with a XLarge and a mini. As it is, the large and the mini combo serve me very well. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Xl and small or XL and MM. If you really wanted portable XL and mini.
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    I have a large and am going to buy another one. I like the size, and also accessories are interchangeable. 
    GWN
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Options
    I have XL and MM and am super happy with the combo. I'm done with Eggs ... no more for me. We are planning on building a new home this year and I'm hoping to place them in some type of outdoor kitchen as well.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    This is a hard choice, but XL and Medium works great for me.  Plenty of room on the medium to make both meat and veggies for 2, and if I'm feeding more, the XL is the perfect choice.  This is not to say that you couldn't do most cooks with a large; there's no question on the XL.  Portability isn't important to me, so the MM loses some points.  The medium comes up to temp so fast, it's scary.  Quick cooks are easy.  To me, that's one real advantage of the 2 Q setup.  The XL and Large take longer to come up to temp, but are great for L&S.  The MM has to come up to temp fast, but the limited grid space is a concern.

Santa Paula, CA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Large & small and not looking back. The small handles 80% of my cooks. The large sees all the wok cooks and any of the low & slows. Then there's the occasion that you just want two eggs going so you sear on one and roast on the other.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    We have a large and a small. We choose the small after the fact, we wanted to have two eggs for grilling at different temperatures, but also a big factor for the small was portability, we take our small with us camping all the time, why be without a great grill when you are away from home. It sits in the back seat of the truck with a seatbelt around it. 
    If we weren't concerned about being able to carry an egg to the truck, we would have gone with 2 larges so that the accessories could be swapped between them.
    Which ever combo suits your needs go for it, two eggs are going to be way better than one. =)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    I ave NOT read any of the prior replies so I could answer based on my OWN opinion. 15 years ago I started with a Large as the XL was not even made yet! in less that 6 months I added a small. To me THAT is the perfect combo for a 2 person and seldom entertaining family! Within a few years the icing on the cake was the addition of a Medium which is used STRICTLY for baking and our Mini for traveling. Trust me these things get in your blood! LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Another vote for medium here. It's the workhorse at my house. Also, as mentioned above, it comes to temp faster than my other eggs. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    Love my large and MM, perfect combo
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    I have Large and MM. Had the large for three months. Decided to look at the Small and a Mini. Was going to buy a small and lady told me about the MM that was coming soon. So I waited then ordered it. Got it and love it. Getting one for my Dad if they ever come in again. 
  • Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    Options
    Currently have a large.  Have been studying the smaller EGG's trying to figure out which would be best for my 2nd BGE. 

My conclusion is a medium.  keeps things versatile while still being large enough to handle bigger items if the Large is full or on a L&S. 

I am not trying to be mobile at this point but the 3rd EGG would def be a MM. 

MAN I REALLY WANT A 2ND EGG! :bawling: 
    LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • nealcr1
    nealcr1 Posts: 198
    Options
    Large and Mini Max.
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    My ideal setup would be 2 LBGE's and a mini. The mini gets fired up mostly for weekend lunch cooks and occasional other things. I hardly use my small. Even though we are basically 2 (caliprince is still busy growing up), I usually cook enough at a time to have leftovers for a few days.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Nuff said:

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I have all of the eggs except for the MM and XXL.  If you said I could only have two, without hesitation it would be the XL and the medium.  
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    I started 12 years ago with a couple of Larges.  That combo could handle most any workload that came my way. 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    In my signature. LBGE & MM couldn't be happier with this combo. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • hoosieregged
    Options

NPHuskerFL said:

NPHUSKERFL where did you get the cart the MM is on?
    Hamilton, IN****1LBGE and a MiniMax
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @Hoosieregg At Sam's Club was my best price. This is a fairly popular cart that can be found several places Amazon has them also. Got this one for under a Benjamin.  It's manufactured by Seville Classics. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • hoosieregged
    Options
    Thank you sir.  Been looking for one for my mini
    Hamilton, IN****1LBGE and a MiniMax
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    I have the xl. Love it. Still thinking of another egg.
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    I use fire bricks in the box to control the cooks if I need to
  • AintEZbeingme
    Options
    Large and a mini.....................and feelin' good!!!!!!!!
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    shucker said:
    XL and Medium for me.  XL big enough for the larger cooks and holds a dump truck load of lump for long and slows, Medium is perfect size for 4 people and very efficient.  Would also make a great side burner during those large cooks. 
    +1 on the XL / Med combo.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Have to figure out what you cook most and for whom. For us the mini is perfect for weeknight cooks and tailgating. Then the large gets the wok, baking, low n slows, etc. if I had an outdoor kitchen I would probably have 2 large and then the mini. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013