Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

skyline chili

Options
they need to rename this as something other than chili, but its good =) does not taste anything like chili but its strange how chocalate and alsspice goes so well with cheese

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Where's the cheese?  =)

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    henapple said:
    Where's the cheese?  =)

i would have to ask the same thing, cheese isnt orange, whats that stuff called =)
    fukahwee maine

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nice looking breakfast.  Not sure what recipe you are using but my friend "Lambchop" while working in the Miami area in the '70's sold a yacht to the original owner of Skyline Chili Co. and here is the recipe he shared with her.

Chili, Beans, Skyline

This one is mine from the early '70's that mother and daddy liked.  I got it from the man who started the "Skyline"Chili Franchise. He was a client of mine in Miami.

INGREDIENTS:
    2 lbs Beef, Ground
    4 Onions, Chopped Fine
    2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
    1 1/2 Tbs White Vinegar
    1 Large Can Tomato Paste
    4 Tbs Chili Powder
    1 tsp Cinnamon
    1 tsp Cumin Powder
    1 tsp Red Peppers
    4 Dry Red Peppers
    5-6 Bay Leaves
    1 tsp All Spice, Ground
    2-3 Tsp Worchestire Sauce
    Salt/Pepper to taste
    2 quarts Water

Procedure:

1. Cook all in one uncovered pot on low flame, I like to use a cast iron pot, may add chili or kidney beans, drain juice from can before using.

Recipe Type: Crock Pot, Dutch Oven, Main Dish

Source
    Author: "Skyline Chili Chain" Miami, '70'S, From The Creator/Originator of The "Skyline Chili" Franchise
    Source: Gloria Williams

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nice looking breakfast.  Not sure what recipe you are using but my friend "Lambchop" while working in the Miami area in the '70's sold a yacht to the original owner of Skyline Chili Co. and here is the recipe he shared with her.

Chili, Beans, Skyline

This one is mine from the early '70's that mother and daddy liked.  I got it from the man who started the "Skyline"Chili Franchise. He was a client of mine in Miami.

INGREDIENTS:
    2 lbs Beef, Ground
    4 Onions, Chopped Fine
    2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
    1 1/2 Tbs White Vinegar
    1 Large Can Tomato Paste
    4 Tbs Chili Powder
    1 tsp Cinnamon
    1 tsp Cumin Powder
    1 tsp Red Peppers
    4 Dry Red Peppers
    5-6 Bay Leaves
    1 tsp All Spice, Ground
    Salt/Pepper to taste
    2 quarts Water

Procedure:

1. Cook all in one uncovered pot on low flame, I like to use a cast iron pot, may add chili or kidney beans, drain juice from can before using.

Source
    Author: "Skyline Chili Chain" Miami, '70'S, From The Creator/Originator of The "Skyline Chili" Franchise

i used this one, some differences but very similar with the addition of cocoa, i used swiss miss with marshmallows removed =)

http://www.food.com/recipe/skylike-chili-skyline-chili-copycat-110548

http://www.food.com/recipe/skylike-chili-skyline-chili-copycat-110548

fukahwee maine

500 Posts: 3,177
    edited March 2015
    Options

Chili, Beans, Skyline

INGREDIENTS:
    2 lbs Beef, Ground
    4 Onions, Chopped Fine
    2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
    1 1/2 Tbs White Vinegar
    1 Large Can Tomato Paste
    4 Tbs Chili Powder
    1 tsp Cinnamon
    1 tsp Cumin Powder
    1 tsp Red Peppers
    4 Dry Red Peppers
    5-6 Bay Leaves
    1 tsp All Spice, Ground
    Salt/Pepper to taste
    2 quarts Water

Procedure:

Source

Thanks for the recipe Richard.  Could you clarify what you mean by "1 tsp red pepper" and "4 dry red peppers".  Do you mean paprika for red peppers, and 4 dry cayenne peppers?  And I swore every Cincinnati-style chili I've came across has some cocoa or unsweetened chocolate in it, and yours doesn't.  
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited March 2015
    Options
    This was copied from my friends notes saved from the '70's.  If I were doing it again I would use 1 tsp crushed red pepper like pizza red or regular red chile ground, found in most Latin groceries. and the 4 dried red would probably be some small dried red or just a little more ground  red.  Depends on your level of heat.
    His original recipe did not have chocolate, but that may have been the secret ingredient he left out.