Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ahi Tuna Steak

Ahi Tuna Steak Sandwich...Lessons learned:
  • Next time I think I'll wait a little longer to get the cast iron pan even hotter (wasn't as seared as I expected)
  • Threw together a quick spicey sauce for the sandwich. I think next time a better sauce as documented here - http://www.biggreencraig.com/seared-ahi-tuna-steaks.html will be a better combination.
Here are pics:

Comments

• BGESimon
    BGESimon Posts: 11

Looks perfekt to me. Also the crust, nice bark. It´s done perfekt for me !

• BGESimon
    BGESimon Posts: 11
    edited March 2015

here some pics of my last tuna, cooked on the grid:

ever tried sombody sesame seasoned tuna ?

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Looks great to me as well. Nicely done. As I've said before we are our own worst critics, which is what keeps us pushing forward. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Looks great. If you're gonna cook it at all, that's the way to do it. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,596
    looks great.  I just posted some sesame crusted ahi in the throwdown, seared it in CI like you did here.  turned out great, but the thing I find with seared ahi is you really have to layer other flavors as well.  Next time I'm going to glaze it as it comes off.  here's a clearer pic of one of my tacos before the pickled onions and the wasabi lime sauce we added.  you can see the sesame seeds
  • terry_b
    terry_b Posts: 68
    Legume said:
    looks great.  I just posted some sesame crusted ahi in the throwdown, seared it in CI like you did here.  turned out great, but the thing I find with seared ahi is you really have to layer other flavors as well.  Next time I'm going to glaze it as it comes off.  here's a clearer pic of one of my tacos before the pickled onions and the wasabi lime sauce we added.  you can see the sesame seeds
     Thanks, yeah, thats a great point. Next time I'll give the sesame crust a go. Thanks!
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Looks delish, will be having some tuna tonight that mama will be cooking on the ci. Can't wait
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I like the pan to be almost white hot w/ Ahi and you'll get a beautiful & quick sear.  Yours has nice color and appeared fairly fresh from what I could see. Getting the freshest available is over half the battle imo. Nice work!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    I love that stuff, looks delicious. :clap: 
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Just finished a seared Ahi salad from the leftovers of last nights seared Ahi. Heaven!!! Used Cen-Tex recipe - very simple, but excellent. We have a commercial fishing vessel that comes into port once a month with loads of fresh Ahi, Wahoo, Mahi, Shrimp, etc. Soooo good!!!
    \

Santa Paula, CA
  • NPHuskerFL
    @tksmoke Nice!!!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Legume
    That's just not right - I would buy the crap out of that - wahoo, ahi, Mahi Mahi and mako - My favorite shark for grilling.  $3/lb for albacore?  I would fill a freezer with smoked albacore.  Damn.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704

Looks good!

I've cooked ahi tuna on my Lodge Sportsman's grill in the past and served it with a Thai chile dipping sauce. Never done it on the egg before. Maybe its time to do that now.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NPHuskerFL
    @Legume We haven't  had any Mako in a while but, I'll destroy some Blacktip grilled on CI into steaks or  battered and fried up. I'd like to give Threshers a shot too.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Legume
    Never had blacktip or thresher.  had a roommate in college that worked at a sportfishing fuel dock (SoCal) and would bring tons of mako home on the weekends from the tournaments.  Quick soak in bottled italian dressing or simple rub and butter while cooking hot and fast on the cheap-ass gasser we had, a few tortillas....crap, now I'm hungry again.  I love shark steaks, just rarely if ever see them here in central texas and won't buy them when I do.
  • NPHuskerFL
    @Legume the last Blacktip we caught was a nice healthy 4 footer. We had to release it because we didn't bring a cooler that day. Had 2 poles but, we were really there just to surf and chill. We were almost in tears letting him go.  He was a fighter to. Took darn near 30 or so minutes to play him to the beach. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014