Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salado test brisket

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited March 2015 in EggHead Forum
I feel like I've been in a bit of a brisket slump lately so I wanted see if I could dial one in before I go to Salado in a few weeks. I went back through a lot of notes that Cazzy and I have shared over the past year or so, I reread a few of the articles I've gleaned hints from over the years, drank a bunch of Titos (this is critical to a successful cook) and lit the egg. 

Well, whatever I did worked. This is probably the 2nd best I've ever made and probably the best non-Wagyu ive ever made. It was a 12lb prime packer from Costco. Rub was course black pepper, salt, granulated garlic. I did use a binder of a little mustard cut with pickle juice. I don't normally use a binder but probably will from now on. TFJ even noticed the bark was "different" (better). I don't know if it was the binder but the bark was perfect from the thinnest part of the flat to the thickest part of the point. I've had a lot of waste on my Briskets lately but every bite in this one was perfect. Might be the first time I've pulled that off without wrapping. 

I cooked at 235 with the cyberQ and I'll do that from now on as well. Seemed to be the perfect temp to get it done with no charred spots in the crust. 

It was probably 10.5 lbs after trimming and it cooked in exactly 12 hrs. It had rendered out at 195 and maybe could have been pulled at 190. In between my normal choice cooks (200) and the SRF (185). It was super jiggly like the SRF and the flat was much more tender and moist than most choice I've cooked. 

I used B&B oak lump for the first time in probably 10 years. Last time I used it, it was very difficult to light and super sparky. I don't know if they have made a change but I really liked it. Reminded me a lot of Ozark Oak. Had some sweet smokiness to it but the smoke was clean and added to the cook (I think OO is that way too). Anyhow, it ran 14 hours at 235 and is currently in its 5th hour of a clean burn at 600. Looks like it's just starting to taper down. It was $11.50 for a 20lb bag and I can get it at any grocery store in austin so I'm pretty happy- with this one bag anyway. I have another that ill pay a little more attn to as inside it. So far, so good. 

Thats about all I have to say about that. 
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments