Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

question.... how long should lump last?

Options
Wanted to cook some pizza's so I fill up the (large) egg with lump (royal oak)
got it up to about 550 (about 30min) and about 3 pies into the cook about 10-12 min per pie temp would not get above 350 and I noticed about three quarters of the lump is gone. I assume that was the cause of the drop in temp.
Is this about right just 60 min. on a load of lump? If I wanted to do more pies would I be able to just fill it back up by dumping fresh lump onto the remaining hot coals?
BTY first two pies were good but the ones cooked at lower temp were not very good, the second two were from a different batch of pizza dough so i am not sure if it was the dough or the lower temps  they were cooked at.

Thanks

Cary NC

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    When you say fill how much do you actually fill?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    At higher temps the lump goes much faster.  I have found that RO burns quicker also.  You can do a couple of things to help out.  One is to fill the lump to just below the plate setter not to the top of the firebox.  The other would be to add lump but then you need to wait once you add it for it to heat up.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • jad
    jad Posts: 70
    Options
    filled it up to the top of the fire box, had the plate setter feet up then cooking grid on top of legs then two fire bricks with the pizza stone on top of the bricks to get the pizza higher up in the dome.
    Cary NC
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    @jad, with that configuration fill it with lump to within an inch of the bottom of the place setter
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    There is no such thing as having too much lump in your egg. Fill it to within an inch of the bottom of the plate setter. The egg snuffs really well so its not like your wasting lump. On a side note I made pizza last night and thought I had enough leftover lump from a previous cook. About firebox height like you. Yep I ran out. Lol. I should practice what I preach lol. Takes a lot of heat to get that stone to the right temp
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I believe that once you cross the 4 hour mark you should seek medical assistance:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    That doesn't seem right if you filled it up.  I've gotten some bad bags of Royal Oak in the past and had trouble holding temp. Royal Oak is hit or miss for me.  Try a different bag next time or a different brand.