Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cuban Roast Pork - direct or indirect?

Options
TTC
TTC Posts: 1,035

Sorry about the formatting, like others I am still learning....

Making Lechon Asado tomorrow for my birthday. Its been a bucket list cook for a while now and the weather finally broke so its on.

Using the recipe from icuban.com on a 9.5 lb fresh ham, deeply pierced all over with filet knife.

Ground 20 cloves of garlic in mortar and pestle with salt/pepper/oregano

Added that paste to OJ/Lime/Lemon concoction with minced onion in the blender. Blended it up and sautéed in oil to make sauce. Cooled, and rubbed all over and submerged ham. Into the fridge for 24 hours.

Will be roasted off tomorrow. Was going to run about 375, question is direct or indirect? Skin up or skin down? Opinions?

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Not an expert at this cook by any means, but my instincts tell me to lower the temp and slow roast it indirect @250-275. Just based on the fat cap and overall fat, you are looking to render quite a bit of that fat.  Fat up or down on this one, meh, either way. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Indirect for sure.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• TTC
    Options
    Going indirect at 375, skin up. About 2 hours into it

Ikon pass 

• TTC
    Options
    Final product with rice, pintos and pickled onions. 

Ikon pass 

• pflug
    pflug Posts: 106
    Options
    What did your overall time end up being?  Did you do any foil, towel, or cooler afterwards?

Looks great!!!

• TTC
    Options
    At 5 hours it was at 190, so I FTC for several hours till dinner. Skin was still crispy eveb after the FTC.

It was really tasty, the whole family liked it. Sides were from Rick Bayless Mexican cookbook and were great. 

Ikon pass