Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Torch newbee

Options
I just ordered a weed burner from Harbor Freight.  I imagine it might take a solid week or more for it to be delivered to my residence.  I have no experience with using a torch to light the lump so was wondering if there are any tips, specifically, adjusting lighting for slow cooks versus high temp cooks?  In other words do you spend more time torching to get the lump burning hotter for high temp cooks?  (might be a dumb question.)
LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    You have to experiment and it depends on your lump.  For high heat, I hold the torch there for about a minute.  For L/S probably about half the time.  As soon as your done, drop the lid.  Also make sure bottom vent is open and top lid is off.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited February 2015
    Options
    More coals you light the hotter the egg will get.  I usually light it for 15-20 seconds.  The flame on the weed burner will depend on the lump you're using.  You don't want a massive flame torching the crap out of lump that is super sparky. Sparks will fly.  Just adjust the torch until you think it's adequate.  You don't need to engage the trigger when using.....unless your friends are over and want to show them a huge flame!!!  Congrats on the purchase.  This by far I find to be the easiest and quickest way to start the egg.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I recently started using a mapp torch, and I light mine the same way regardless of low and slow or high and fast. If it is L&S I just close my lid sooner so it won't get away from me. 

You will have to experiment with it. The first couple of times I lit mine with the torch I had little black pieces of lump flying through the air. I didn't like it, but I have since figured it out.

You will enjoy it. It is really fast. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Very Cool!  Thank you all for your comments and I am looking forward to using this.

• mahenryak
    Options
    ...By the way, I tend to just use the Royal Oak lump that I find at Walmart and more recently Home Depot. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    1 spot for low and slow, move the torch around for hot cooks. you dont need to pull the trigger to light with that torch but if you do, long sleeves, hat, sunglasses, and an ice cold beer are required
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mahenryak
    Options
    1 spot for low and slow, move the torch around for hot cooks. you dont need to pull the trigger to light with that torch but if you do, long sleeves, hat, sunglasses, and an ice cold beer are required
    This makes sense to me...  lmao regarding the trigger color commentary.

• EazyE
    EazyE Posts: 67
    Options
    I recommend wearing sunglasses or goggles while lighting with a torch. Sometimes sparks can fly, and I remember someone on here saying they took a spark to the eye.
  • mahenryak
    Options
    EazyE said:
    I recommend wearing sunglasses or goggles while lighting with a torch. Sometimes sparks can fly, and I remember someone on here saying they took a spark to the eye.
    Thank you.  Good advice which I intend to heed. 

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Picked up the $20 special weed burner at HF for my son, his first fire using it was going in 35 seconds. The only downside he noted was the beer usually consumed watching the chimney get hot was not needed. There is a down side to quick fires. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Picked up the $20 special weed burner at HF for my son, his first fire using it was going in 35 seconds. The only downside he noted was the beer usually consumed watching the chimney get hot was not needed. There is a down side to quick fires. 
    Shots? =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • mahenryak
    Options
    By way of follow up, my torch arrived Friday so I had the opportunity to use it a couple of times this past weekend.  It worked great and the one piece of advice that I think might have saved me a little grief was that the trigger was not needed.  It's there so I would have felt the need to try it, without the advice.  :) Plenty of flame without the trigger.  I wish I would have purchased this years ago.  Also, on a side note, it's kind of funny because I had to go through my shed to locate a brand new propane tank that had been in storage since I purchased my BGE three or four years ago.  As a bonus, now I also have a torch that can take care of the grass that tends to want to come up each spring between the pavos on my small patio.

• WeberWho
    Options
    Your cooks will be ready in no time now.  Trigger is for friends and neighbors you don't like.  Says that in the instructions somewhere 

Minnesota
  • mahenryak
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    ... Trigger is for friends and neighbors you don't like.  Says that in the instructions somewhere 
    LMAO

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    i mentioned the hat and glasses because i knew you would pull the trigger anyways =) be careful whats around you, i lit the egg one day and a few days later my espaliered apple tree lost all its leaves and flowers, its 15 feet from the egg =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mahenryak
    Options
    @fishlessman I did where my protective eyewear, too, thank you, along with a long-sleeved shirt and hat.  I was more than a little self-conscious while using the torch, which is probably a good thing.  ;)