Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick ash basket

Options
Now that this has been out for a while I was wondering if I could get some feedback from those of you that have one. Is it worth the purchase? Does it work as advertised?  

I have a small crack in my fire grate that's been there for a long time but I know I will have to replace it that brings the next question. When using the KAB Does it sit in he fire grate or just right into the bottom of the egg ? 

Have also seen replacement fire grates other than the stock BGE one 

thank

Larry 
2 LBGE
Digi Q
green Thermapen
AR

Albuquerque, NM

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Google search "BGE Kick Ash Basket".  You'll find several posts on this very topic, some of which are recent. 

I only use the basket in my Large, and it works nicely.  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Not all accessories are winners, this one definitely is a winner. Basically it does what the hi-q grate does while also offering some charcoal management help. I love it. 
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Seems just about everyone who gets one seems to like it. Those who don't have them don't say they don't like the KAB, they just don't think it's needed. I don't have one but it will be the next thing I buy for my egg. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I have had one in my large for two months.  Thought long and hard over the price.  When I had it in hand I thought even harder about the price.  I think it should either be priced lower or built so that it's a little taller in the firebox.  But, having said that, I just bought a second large egg and basket to go with it ... so, my vote goes toward owning one.

Remove the OEM grate to take full advantage of improved airflow.  Buy a ten gallon galvanized trash can to shake the ashes into ... the basket just fits and allows a one-handed shake.  The video must have used a 40 lb lump bag, 'cuz it certainly doesn't fit in a 20 lb Rockwood bag.

My son has an XL egg and has voted not to get a basket.  He's a stir, fill, and light egger.  The XL has better airflow than the large which contributes to his decision not to get one.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I like it so far. I have to clean the ash out of the egg much less and I am able to maintain lower temps for long cooks better. 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I thought about it, but I got a high q grate and find it to work just as well. I stir it clockwise twice, counter clock wise twice and scrape the ash from the bottom vent into the pan and dump in the flower beds.

-FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    To me the benefit would be for tailgating or something where you need to pull the charcoal out at once. I have a high que so would not need one for airflow or clogged stock grate holes. Not sure the price on kick ash but high que grate is one of best items I put in egg. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    I got one from my wife for VDay. I've only used it twice, but it just makes everything easier!
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • llrickman
    Options
    KAB is 49.99 ive been trying to decide between it and the High Que
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @llrickman ... are you a stir, fill, and light kind of egger?  Then the High Que would seem to be a good choice to give improved airflow.  Plus, it's cheaper and with the thicker metal rods should outlast the KAB.

Are you OCD about cleaning out the egg before each cook?  Then the KAB will make that task easier.  It's more expensive, but then, it serves a dual function of improving airflow and making clean up easier.  Again, I suspect that I'll have to replace my KAB before others will have to replace their High Que grate.

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I've had my KAB for just two months now.
    I'm very pleased with its ease of use.
    Don't use the original  grate, just take it out.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • llrickman
    Options
    @llrickman ... are you a stir, fill, and light kind of egger?  Then the High Que would seem to be a good choice to give improved airflow.  Plus, it's cheaper and with the thicker metal rods should outlast the KAB.

Are you OCD about cleaning out the egg before each cook?  Then the KAB will make that task easier.  It's more expensive, but then, it serves a dual function of improving airflow and making clean up easier.  Again, I suspect that I'll have to replace my KAB before others will have to replace their High Que grate.

Im OCD about cleaning it only before a long low and slow like a brisket or butt.  Seems to hold temp way better

I will take everything out and clean it about 3 or 4 times a year

Do you have a link to the high que?  i would like to make sure im looking at the right one 

Thanks

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Jeepster47
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Mumble, mumble ... I hate when the forum eats your post 'cuz you've referenced a web-site.  Let's try to cheat our way into the websites.

Google "High-que.com" and look at the 9" diameter grate.

You also might look at SmokeWare's fishbone grate ... again google "smokeware.net" and look at the fishbone grate.

There that worked ...

• llrickman
    Options
    i got an email this morning and it had the fishbone on amazon for 20.95
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I've seen the product and understand it improves airflow......but what does it make "easier"??  The only time I've ever had to remove old lump from the egg was prepping for a L&S when I wanted to clean everything out and start fresh.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • llrickman
    Options
    i think im going to get this fishbone grate on amazon 24 bucks shipped

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm sure this is a nice to have on occasion but one still deals with removing old lump for low and slow , scraping the dust out, etc. $50 buys a lot of rubber gloves to keep one's hands clean. 

I just use my Father's old 7 iron to rake the used lump. I used it with the Weber too, even had it re-gripped a while back.  While it can be messy, I remove the dust with the standard issue BGE tool -  part of the Eggsperience.

Oh, it's an old Wilson Staff Blade.  :)
    New Albany, Ohio 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Ash tool and an old shop vac always work just fine for me.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    i bought a high-que grate and wouldnt go back to the stock one on a dare.  world of difference
  • egger911
    Options
    I've had mine for about 8 months now.  It's a great addition to the  large BGE! Makes clean up and preparation for the next cook so much easier. Glad I bought it. 
    Large BGE, Weber Summit, Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Kettle, Offset Smoker, and a 1974 Smokey Joe. (Love that Egg, should have got it earlier.) Moorpark, (Southern) California 93021
  • sodigthisbigcrux
    Options
    love the one I have for my large. As soon as they have one for the MiniMax...I will buy it
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    llrickman said:
    i think im going to get this fishbone grate on amazon 24 bucks shipped

I'm with you...great price

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I have the fishbone style I bought it from stl charcoal, I kind of want to ditch it and get the high que... Why ...i don't know weird.
    Seattle, WA
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Still waiting for one to fit the small. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Jeepster47
    Options
    grege345 said:
    @grege345 ... A cheap Weber grate/grill and a cutoff wheel would work to make a fishbone grate ... yes?

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    grege345 said:
    I think someone here actually contacted the manufacturer, and they said they weren't planning on making one for the Small.  That's too bad, as cleaning the Small through the intake with the ash tool is a pain in the butt.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    edited February 2015
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    I have the fishbone style I bought it from stl charcoal, I kind of want to ditch it and get the high que... Why ...i don't know weird.
    Why???? does the Fishbones move around?

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• biggreenbradUK
    Options
    Got one and love it. Think it definitely improves airflow and a quick shake after use and I've got rid of all the ashes and bits. Helps me get up to hot temps quickly but I'm pretty sure I'm using more coal. 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    bcsnave said:
    SkinnyV said:
    Why???? does the Fishbones move around?
    It does but so does the high que in.my mini. I don't think it can be avoided.
    Seattle, WA