Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Pork Roast, suggestions?

Options
sloo50
sloo50 Posts: 20
edited February 2015 in Pork
I have a 7.5 lb boneless shoulder that I plan on cooking this coming Sunday. I plan on using Grand Champion BBQ rub with a platesetter and drip pan.  I am shooting for 250-275 degree dome temp. I have a Maverick to keep an eye on the temps.  I plan on using a combination of used and new Royal Oak, along with several med. sized pieces of cherry wood. I was going to fill the bowl almost full, just to be safe. A few questions: 

Do I need an air gap between the drip pan and platesetter? 

Do I need a dip pan at all? 

Where should I place the probe for the grill temp? ( I have a BBQ Guru Probe Tree on order) Clip it to the grate? 

Start the fire in the middle of the pile?

Thoughts on cooking the entire time @ 300 or above? 

Type of preferred sandwich bread for pulled pork sandwiches? 

Thanks in advance everyone!!

Chesapeake Virginia 

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    yes
    yes
    clip to grate
    yes
    If you want to save time cook at 350
    fresh potato rolls

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I prefer to cook at 250-275 (if time allows) because I think the fat tends to render down more over a long, slow heat.  Bark is better on the higher temp/faster cook.  I also find the bark is better if you have time to season the shoulder/butt overnight then re-season just before egging.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I have been cooking them at 290º - 300º lately. At that temp you can start a 7.5 pound boneless shoulder first thing in the morning and have it ready for dinner. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.