Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone use just wood.....

Any of you guys ever cook with just smoking wood and skip the lump?  Just curious as to the result. 

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• That question comes up a lot from Newbe's, myself included.  But the Egg isn't designed or meant to be used that way.  If it worked, everybody would be doing it.  I seriously doubt that any are. 

But if you feel like trying it, be sure to take pictures and share them with us.  Oh, and check your warranty.  It might not be covered doing it that way.

Spring "Lump Out Log In - Ooops" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    There has has been many post on this.  Do a search for "wood instead of lump".  From what I remember it isn't recommended.  Using just wood is more for the larger stick burning smokers like @SGH has.  To much wood and can over power the meat.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i use so much oak when doing fast and hot brisket cooks that it would be possible but after 2 hours cooking direct it gets foiled. thats the only cook i can think of that it may work
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    I have a friend with an xl that uses 2 to 3 logs of kiawe/mesquite wood. He said temp and burn are just the same as using lump  charcoal.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I would be careful burning all wood in the egg. That **** gets HOT. I broke my tandoor trying to do that. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.