Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

table tops

Options
I have seen a few tables with granite tops. Where are you guys finding these for decent prices?

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Try a store that cuts for kitchens. ..might get some leftover at a decent price.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Yep, just hit a granite place and they will have remnants for cheaper.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    milesvdustin - Kitchen places don't generally store granite.  The off cuts go to the customer, or back to the granite fabricator.  The granite yard would have mostly full slabs.  The place to get your best deal is from the granite fabricators.  These are the guys that get their granite from the granite yard and fabricate for the kitchen firms.  The fabricators will let a chunk of granite go the cheapest, because it has most likely already been paid for once by the original customer.

A few things to hopefully get you a good price.  If you don't want a built up, or doubled front edge you will save a bunch.  Most egg tables have just the thickness of the slab, and then polished on the edges.  If you can find 3cm granite, that will be a little thicker - personally, this is the route I would go because I like the more substantial look.  Make their life easy, and you'll save some $.  Do a cut sheet.  Draw your top out, label it, mark the center.  Mark the center of your hole cut out.  If you want the cut out for the egg polished, it will cost a couple hundie at least.  Personally, I would leave the cut out unpolished and then be very careful when putting the egg in, so you don't scratch your egg.  Tell them you want it delivered, that it's a table top, and not needing to fit your kitchen walls.  They can deliver it and set it down on your table.

Hope that helps.  Good luck.  
    Phoenix 
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    @blasting has some great info. The material is cheap the labor to finish the edges is not. In Texas I can figure 30/sg ft is what they ask

Cash is king
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I think i have decided to pour a concrete top for my table. Any do's or don'ts for concrete tops? 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I think i have decided to pour a concrete top for my table. Any do's or don'ts for concrete tops? 
    Edit - search youtube for Cheng Concrete  link wouldn't work.

This guy is kind of a guru on the subject.  I took kind of a deep dive into it.  Your supplies and set up to do it will cost you more on your first top than a piece of granite would.  Sort of depends on how many projects you have in the hopper.  Post pics if you decide to do it, and best of luck.

Next on my to do list is a BBQ island for all my supplies.  Top will be a corian top for outdoor pizza making.  Just watching for a kitchen tear out with an island the correct size.  Corian tear outs can be had for dirt cheap.  My granite guy is finishing a 18" hot landing counter for me for free that I'm planning to inlay on one end.
    Phoenix