Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help on first salmon cure/smoke

Options
I'm looking for your opinions on a mistake I made curing my salmon. I did a salt/sugar mix and slathered it on skin side and flesh side. Saran wrapped and foiled. The norm. The problem is .... When I rinsed it after 30 hrs. In the wrap being flipped every 10ish hrs. I learned that somehow (I never removed it) the absorbing pad was still on the skin side of one filet. That means no cure on that 4x6 section of fish. Is this fish safe to eat? It is less firm than the other filet? But it is the skin side. FYI- I am cold smoking with ANS. Thanks in advance. I am letting the pellicle firm right now.

Comments

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    It has been my experience that the cured fish has a much different consistency than the not cured fish.
    I can not see how the cure would not have gotten into the fish regardless , but i would check the consistency ?
    You dont want to mess around with that kind of stuff .
    If i was unsure I would probably throw it in a wet cure for 5 hours or so ?

Also 30 hours for a dry cure of salmon ? what receipe are you following ?
    Toronto
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Hmm
    ..i just did the kosher, brn,white sugar mix. I dont worry totally about skin side.
    10hrs pulled.it out rinsed , dry them smoked.A+ salmon
    Seattle, WA
  • Deviledegger
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will try to post mite details on my curing but I'm watching my two girls today and it's hard to get a minute to myself.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    With 30 hours I am pretty sure you are fully cured.  

I do my salmon with a wet cure/brine for 1 hour, and it is fully cured.  I also hot smoke at 200 or less to an IT of 140 - about 2 hours for normal sized fillets.  Pic below is Lake Trout.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Deviledegger
    Options
    @pantsypants-here is the recipe I was going with. I added some time to the cure because I couldn't deal with the salmon at 24 hrs. One of the luxuries of being a family man if you know what I mean.
    Cold-smoked salmon at home
    Author: Mike
    Recipe type: Cold-smoked salmon Cuisine: Seafood
    Prep time: 24 hours Cook time: 5 hours Total time: 29 hours
    Serves: A crowd

Home-cured and smoked fresh filet of salmon
    Ingredients
    3 pounds salmon fillet (one large or several small)
    1 cup kosher salt
    ½ cup sugar
    ½ cup brown sugar
    1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
    Instructions
    Mix salt, sugars and peppers in a bowl
    Lay down a large sheet of aluminum foil covered in several layers of plastic wrap
    Spread half of the salf/sugar mixture on the plastic wrap in the shape of the salmon.
    Place salmon on top of the mixture and top with remaining mixture. If using multiple fillets, make sure every surface of fish is covered in the mixture.
    Tightly wrap with the plastic and foil.
    Cure in the refrigerator for 12 hours. Turn over and cure for another 12 hours.
    Unwrap and rinse thoroughly with cold water. Dry thoroughly.
    Cold-smoke fish for 5 to 8 hours.
  • Deviledegger
    Options
    Here's what I got so far. I think I'm just going to eat it. I think things seem good. I will let you know if things take a turn for the worst.
  • pantsypants
    Options
    looks good ! i would eat that
    Toronto
  • Deviledegger
    Options
    Well I will send pics of the finish in about 4 hrs.
    @Cookinbob - that trout looks great. I'm hoping this works out because the last couple times I had smoked salmon it was soooo good. Way too pricey for new though!
  • Deviledegger
    Options
    Just tried the salmon after 3 hrs of smoke. I will go a couple more hrs for smoke. Is not quit where I would like it. The texture is great unfortunately this batch it's a but salty. Probably cured it for to long. I guess?
  • pantsypants
    Options
    I usually soak what ever I am curing for at least an hour  hour in cold water  .
    As I have found everything way to salty .

But home smoked salmon can not be beat !!!

Toronto
  • Deviledegger
    Options
    @pantsypants- I appreciate the tip I rinsed it between before and after the pellicle stage. I would have soaked out if I thought it was something I could do. Do you or anyone else know if I can still reduce the saltiness or is it to late.
  • pantsypants
    Options
    it should reside once it has been smoked and has time to rest .
    Try it in the morning ? if it is still to salty then i am sure you could probably soak it for an hour or so
    If i did that i would dry it quickly after with a fan on a cooling rack though for a couple hours  ,

but yeah when i make bacon , salmon or even Montreal Smoked Meat i always soak for at least an hour .
    Toronto
  • Deviledegger
    Options
    Very good to know. The smoke is great. I know it will mellow and be just what I'm looking for. I love that ANS. It worked perfectly with a 75 watt bulb in the bottom to bring the temp up between *50-60.