Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket - guess we all knew this!

Skiddymarker
Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
Brisket has become one of the most expensive "standard" cuts due to popularity. Good article even if it is bad news for brisket lovers. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!

Comments

• I went to the Costco here in ABQ yesterday - they had full packers but only choice. I don't remember the exact price but it wasn't outrageous.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @Skiddymarker-have witnessed the price rise first-hand.  Freezer diving about two weeks ago and found a Costco prime packer from Feb 2014  at $2.89/lb.  Picked up the same cut at the same store last week at $4.39/lb.  At this rate the store version will get to SRF prices in no time.
    BTW-A's pitchers and catchers report on Feb 19th.  And away we go!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I think we BBQ dudes need to "commission" a study on the carcinogenic nature of smoked brisket.  Publish, then prices will drop.  Everyone pitch in ten bucks and send to me and I'll write it.  I am technically a scientist after all.
    Just looked online at the only local store that sells brisket... $7.49 a pound!!! It's good I don't like brisket!

Pork butt on the other hand, a MUCH tastier chunk of meat :) not to mention easier to cook, is only $1.49 (haven't figured that out yet - it's $3 everywhere else).

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skiddymarker
    edited February 2015

I think we BBQ dudes need to "commission" a study on the carcinogenic nature of smoked brisket.  Publish, then prices will drop.  Everyone pitch in ten bucks and send to me and I'll write it.  I am technically a scientist after all.

Good strategy. Half way thru the first paragraph and bottle of bourbon you would forget the mission and we would have a great article on the carcinogenic nature of smoked andoulle sausage. Some folks need supervision. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    edited February 2015
    lousubcap said:

@Skiddymarker-have witnessed the price rise first-hand.  Freezer diving about two weeks ago and found a Costco prime packer from Feb 2014  at $2.89/lb.  Picked up the same cut at the same store last week at $4.39/lb.  At this rate the store version will get to SRF prices in no time.

BTW-A's pitchers and catchers report on Feb 19th.  And away we go!

Noticed at my local Safeway last week. The butcher always had one or two packers in his fridge. He now informs they are by special order only and are based on market price - meaning he can not guarantee what the cost is until it comes in. His last order was around $9.99 per pound. AAA (US Choice) standing rib roast, cap removed bone in was $6.99 per pound. Rib roast it is. 

Come on April! GO A's!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Check is in the mail Carey @nolaegghead ;) I figure with some creative writing we could have Brian Williams release a PSA brisket announcement along with the CDC calling "randomly" to citizens (you know because they have such awesome credibility :)) ). We'll have it down to $1.00 # in no time. That or the beef market will crash and the quality will go to ****.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    edited February 2015
    Just found a 15# choice marked down to $40 for managers special at local Kroger. It's in the freezer now. Still haven't found a prime packer in memphis at RD or Costco.
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • Skiddymarker
    edited February 2015
    @Carolina_Q - like yourself, thankfully not a regular at the brisket banquet table, but it was nice every couple of months. At todays exchange rates, $7.49 US is about $9.25 CDN. 
  • I think we BBQ dudes need to "commission" a study on the carcinogenic nature of smoked brisket.  Publish, then prices will drop.  Everyone pitch in ten bucks and send to me and I'll write it.  I am technically a scientist after all.

It would be more effective to show how eating brisket is racist.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832

It would be more effective to show how eating brisket is racist.
    Or that it has mercury and Jenny McCarthy says its bad.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker