Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I pad 2 not charging after battery replacement (help!!)

Options
My kids complained that their batteries weren't lasting so I found a local guy to replace them yesterday. I got them back and charged them. 

One is fine, and the other shows that it is charging, by the green indicator on the i pad, but it will not move up past 40%. 

This one belongs to my 13 year old daughter and last night she mentioned something about it never shows the battery life while charging. I didn't pay much attention to her, but today it is still only showing at 40%. I have turned it off and unplugged the charger hoping that when it restarted it would have a higher percentage, but it didn't. 

Any ideas here? I am using the wall charger and usb cable that came with the pad to charge with. The other one charged just fine. Do I have a software problem or a battery problem? I contacted the guy and he is "researching it". I feel like he isn't going to be any help here. 

Do any of you have any suggestions for me to try? It would be greatly appreciated. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    Hard reset the Ipad. I have had that resolve similiar issues on an MacAir
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options

Hard reset the Ipad. I have had that resolve similiar issues on an MacAir

Jamie, I've had some issues and want to keep your suggestion in mind for the future, but just how does one "hard reset" an iPad?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    How do I do that @Ozzie_Isaac? Also that won't reset the pad to factory settings will it? 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Hold the home and sleep button till you see the Apple logo, then let go. No...doesn't affect any settings.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • tisoypops
    Options
    Also, keep in mind that to get the most life out of your iPad or any rechargeable battery you need to do a full charge cycle at least once a month. Meaning drain the battery to 0 from 100 and then charge it to 100% without unplugging it. If you're charging it without killing it on a regular basis without doing this full cycle it can deteriate the battery life significantly over time.
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I don't know what is wrong with this thing. I did a hard reset, and I am trying to charge again. It shows it is charging, but it has gone down from 40% to 38% so it clearly isn't charging. 

If this wasn't my daughters I would probably break it! 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

How do I do that @Ozzie_Isaac? Also that won't reset the pad to factory settings will it? 

@Cazzy nailed it. Home and sleep button until apple logo pops up. All settings will be preserved.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • cazzy
    Options

I don't know what is wrong with this thing. I did a hard reset, and I am trying to charge again. It shows it is charging, but it has gone down from 40% to 38% so it clearly isn't charging. 

If this wasn't my daughters I would probably break it! 
    Take it back to the guy that replaced it.  Not normal for sure.  He may be using b-stock batteries that are not supported by the logic board.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I may need someone to bail me out.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Better call Saul
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I am going to lose my mind over this thing. So frigging aggravating. 

• cazzy
    Options

Better call Saul

=))

I'm excited for that series!
  • cazzy
    Options

I am going to lose my mind over this thing. So frigging aggravating. 

It's really not that hard to figure out. The only thing that has changed is the foreign part that you recently had installed. Unless he's some random guy from CL, you should be able to get it straightened out.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    No he is a local guy. I am going to visit with him this evening. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Just go for the knees. If you break his arms, he may be unable to fix it after you "negotiate".
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I have tried everything. When I connect it to the computer it can be seen in Itunes. It has to be a bad battery. I know this guy. His son is in my daughters class so I will handle this tactfully. Lucky for him. 

20 years ago I would have left a smudge mark on the pavement with him. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options

Just go for the knees. If you break his arms, he may be unable to fix it after you "negotiate".

LMAO
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I just texted him again and he said since the battery is working. It is keeping the unit powered etc. that it may be a software issue. I wonder if I need to update? 

Have any of you heard of this problem being software related? 

• cazzy
    Options

I just texted him again and he said since the battery is working. It is keeping the unit powered etc. that it may be a software issue. I wonder if I need to update? 

Have any of you heard of this problem being software related? 
    No. Did you have the problem before? Likely not. One is working and the other is not. Is there a difference between the iOS version on each device? If so, upgrade and see what happens.

My gut is still saying you got a bad battery.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    This is getting more bizarre by the moment. I have the pad with me today at my office.  My 13 year old called me when she got home from school and said that for the past year or so that the only way she could get it to charge was to turn it off when it was plugged in. 

I told her that when I charge mine I usually turn it off, and when I plug it in it will then come back on. She said that she had to turn hers off in order for it to charge. This makes no sense to me, but I am trying it as we speak. 

• cazzy
    Options
    Ah...then you just may have a fubarred iPad. Turning it off isn't necessary, but it will speed up the charging process (as will air plane mode). You are using the iPad brick and not the small iphone brick, right?
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I am using the charger that came with the Ipad. It is the same one that we use to charge the other 2. I agree with you that I think this one is screwed up. 

I just hope it will still take a charge with it turned off. If she can live with it, and she isn't complaining about it I can too. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ah, my last iphone4 did that. I had to turn it off for it to fully charge. I forgot about that it just became habit. It was inconvenient but worked.

At the very end I needed hard reset, turn off, hold tongue right, balance on one foot and plug in.
  • cazzy
    Options
    to help with the battery life, disable all notifications that are not important.  Location services eats up battery too.  Most have their iPad set to full brightness....try dropping it to 65%.  
  • cazzy
    Options

I am using the charger that came with the Ipad. It is the same one that we use to charge the other 2. I agree with you that I think this one is screwed up. 

I just hope it will still take a charge with it turned off. If she can live with it, and she isn't complaining about it I can too. 
    You can also trying doing a complete restore "while one finger is plugged into your ear".  
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Is it easy to update the operating system to the new iOS version?  I have a Gen2 and need to update but haven't out of ignorance.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • cazzy
    Options

Is it easy to update the operating system to the new iOS version?  I have a Gen2 and need to update but haven't out of ignorance.

Very easy.  You can typically go to Settings>General>Software Update and just do it over the air.  The most common problem people run into is they just don't have the space to update the device over the air.  If that is you, plug it into your PC or Mac and update through iTunes.  Back it up first.  
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    This thing still will not work! So how do I do a complete restore? I don't want her to lose her stuff. 

Talk me through this. I need it. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Backup to itunes first. Then remove from computer. Go into settings, software and select restore factory.

After done plug back in and see if it charges. If it does then plug into computer and restore from backup. See if it still charges.

Make sure you check everything on backup and verify you got everything you care about before the wipe.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    So it will restore it to the original factory settings right? 

I will then login to I tunes and reload all of her pics and games etc?