Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Post-SB chili garlic and honey wings

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
edited February 2015 in EggHead Forum

These were supposed to be done yesterday. I don't care about sports, but I'm down with cooking for major events!

Lit up the large and made dinner out of these. Marinated overnight in chili garlic paste and honey, dusted with DP Tsunami Spin when they went on the egg. I have been missing the smoked wings from my drum smokers (it seems most folks end up grilling wings on the egg) so these went on at 275°F, indirect for about 2 hours. Threw some potatoes in the pan with the remaining marinade for the last 30mins.

Pretty damn good. Potatoes in chicken grease are the bomb diggity! Could have used more garlic though.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Nice wings man. Now please say a few words about the chili garlic honey mix.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    Options
    @Mickey - About 2 TBSP of this stuff;

with some squirts of honey, few turns of the pepper mill and the DP Tsunami Spin. I sort of "winged" it for the recipe :D The honey gave the wings nice color as it caramelized during the cook. 

The chili garlic sauce is more like a paste, thicker than the rooster/Huy Fong stuff you like. Its for cooking with, not so much as a condiment on its own like the rooster stuff. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    They look great!  I love taters in chicken grease.  I tried to make some without chicken over them and they just aren't the same! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    Options
    Bet Central Market may have it?????
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    Options

@Mickey - HEB will probably have it. If you can't find it, I'll get some for you. Just let me know.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    That sound really good.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Very nice. Now I'm hungry!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bbqlearner
    Options
    Wow giving me inspiration to cook soon. Thanks for sharing.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Mickey
    edited February 2015
    Options
    When retired one has so much more time for the small crap. Headed to Austin this morning just for your chili garlic sauce.. Nothing at Whole Foods so headed across town to Central Market. But on the way Threadgills on Lamar jumped out and had to have lunch.. While looking around for Janis Joplin's ghost Linda said we just went by the largest Asian Market in Central Texas so we went back there. Wow, goldmine. Plus I added this cool ketchup and found 2 sizes of the chili sauce.
    imageimageimage

• caliking
    Options
    @Mickey - my sincere apologies. I did not remember that you lived that close to Austin, otherwise I would have directed you to an Asian supermarket in the first place. Sorry for the runaround.

Any one of those sauces (or in combination) will be great in stir-fries/wok cooks.

• greenenvy
    Options
    Those look great! Does glazing them make the skin more crisp or less?

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX

• caliking
    Options
    @greenenvy - I didn't glaze them as such. No mopping or anything once they hit the grid. I did flip them once. The skin was not crispy, but not rubbery either. It had a nice texture IMO.

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Those look fantastic. I'm going to have to seek out some of that sauce.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!