Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nature glo, royal oak, bge lump

Options
So I've read that these three lumps are one and the same, just different prices. Planned on getting some OO but they were out so I got nature glo, having experience with only bge lump. I am cooking on it for the first time today, but just after opening the bag I can tell the smell at least is very different from the bge lump. The bge had a very distinct smoky scent. The nature glo doesn't seem to have any smell... Just this bag, or are others experiencenthe same as mine?
LBGE | Conroe, TX

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    edited February 2015
    Options
    All the same parent company, but certain brands get 1st pick of the lots.

I have personally found Nature Glo superior to Royal Oak in smell and lump size. Never use BGE before.

As an aside, I have switched to Rock Wood. That is a whole other level.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • tisoypops
    Options
    Yeah that's what I hear about rockwood. Don't think its sold right here near me. Everyone seems to love OO too so that's what I wanted. Just have to wait til it comes in. Guy at the store told me they're closed right for some reason?
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Been using Nature Glo for 3 years. Less smoky, lights easy but burn time a little less. Great lump though and BGE is just royal oak at 2.5 times the price
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @tisoypops ... use this website to check for sales of Rockwood near you.  Or use Firecraft for mail order.

I started with Nature Glo (came with the egg) and later tried Royal Oak.  I found Nature Glo to achieve a clean smell in less time than Royal Oak ... actually the two bags of Royal Oak that I tried never completely cleared up. That's when I tried Rockwood and will not look back. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• tisoypops
    Options
    Thanks @Jeepster47. Closest place is CGS. 222 miles away. :-q guess I'll wait til that OO is back in stock. Everyone on here seems to to like it. Nature Glo is ok for now
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

I use BGE after buying the Egg last may. I then found Rockwood at a nearby Ace and went through a couple bags -VERY dusty at the bottom of the bag but I liked the Rockwood.  When I went to get another Rockwood they were out so I went with BGE again. 

Bottom line, I like both. BGE has a distinctive smoke aroma compared to Rockwood and, this bag anyway, has huge chunks and seems to burn slower. I'll but Rockwood again for sure. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    Options

A butcher I go to sells Nature Glo and my Egg dealer does to. Says folks use the Nature Glo for deset baking due the neutrality.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited February 2015
    Options

Says folks use the Nature Glo for deset baking due the neutrality.
    I reserve my bags of OO for baking for that same reason. Now I have some Rockwood for that purpose was well. Otherwise I will still be using Royal Oak for my regular cooks that I have grown accustomed to and have no issues since I let it burn off. Besides I still have 510 pounds of RO on hand to use up! LOL!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @THEBuckeye ... our Ace distribution center doesn't carry Rockwood, so I'm SOL buying through a local Ace store.  But, if your Ace carried it once, then that means their regional distribution center does carry it and can get you a few bags ... delivered to the store with no shipping cost.  You might consider going back and asking them.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Jeepster47 he's in the same distribution network I'm in. The lady at the ace told me you can now order in any quantity shipped to store.
  • RRP
    Options

@Jeepster47 he's in the same distribution network I'm in. The lady at the ace told me you can now order in any quantity shipped to store.

that works, but years ago from personal eggperience buying lump that way a bag or two at a time I found those bags must have been handled roughly like in beanbag tossing. Whenever I can I try to buy my lump while still on a pallet. Good luck though!
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @RRP ... if I remember correctly, you once said you fondle your bags of lump to get the best ones ... yes?

• THEBuckeye
    Options

The Ace that was close is moving to a very congested area. Others in metro Atlanta carry it - it's just less convenient.  
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    Options

And both the BGE and Rockwood were on pallets in-store. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• RRP
    Options

@RRP ... if I remember correctly, you once said you fondle your bags of lump to get the best ones ... yes?

Honestly yes I did say that since that is the way I select bags that have been removed from pallets and placed on the floor or shelves in stores. A mishandled bag will not be full to the touch. You can also tell settling has occurred if the top section of the bag is empty feeling. I even listen for the sound as a nice full bag will have a clinking sound and not a sliding sound of dust and tiny pieces sliding in the bag. OTOH if the bags are still on the pallet I don't spend as much time and effort. Over the years I've seen bags that obviously have been abused. BTW I'm not annal about it nor do I consider myself annal when I look though the packages of bacon flipping them over to see the meat/fat pattern. It amazes me how bad some bacon is and how some shoppers walk up and blindly grab a pound or two and throw them in their cart!
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    tisoypops  You do not have your city or state listed so this may be of no help, but if you get into Chicago, IL there is a company called Berger Bros. that sells 40 lb. bags of Nature Glo at a very attractive price. When we get anywhere near them, I load up on as many bags as I can stash in my vehicle. It has always been a quality product. The really neat thing is the guy that brings it to your vehicle brings out a whole pallet on his fork truck and gently loads each bag for you. Do not let his exterior appearance fool you, he is a charcoal dust covered prince among men
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • tisoypops
    Options
    Thanks @bettysnephew. I live near Houston so that doesn't really help. Haha it's all good. I have 3 dealers within a few miles of here. One is right around the corner and they sell OO, nature glo and B&B, though the impression I get from people on the forum is that B&B is no good.
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    tisoypops said:

Thanks @bettysnephew. I live near Houston so that doesn't really help.

Sorry, no Rockwood down there yet.  The only Ace stores that can order it through the warehouse are in southern LA, AL, MS, GA, FL, SC, eastern TN, and western NC.  If we ever expand to the Dallas warehouse, then you'll be able to order it anywhere in TX.
  • tisoypops
    Options
    Then hurry it up @stlcharcoal!!! :D thanks for the info. Will I just need to keep checking back periodically then?
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    There's a lose on the forum that delivers OO
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    tisoypops said:

Then hurry it up @stlcharcoal!!! :D thanks for the info. Will I just need to keep checking back periodically then?

@tisoypops ... hey, just get in line.  My dealer is working on Jonathan to get Rockwood to the middle of Illinois next ... it's like a Rockwood desert around here.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    henapple said:

There's a lose on the forum that delivers OO

Wish that loser made it to SC
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    tisoypops said:

Sorry......only so much wood in the Mark Twain Forest to be had.  Ace wants to go up the east coast next--but for now, it's just the southeast / Gulf states.  They're cleaning our warehouse out as it is.

You're best bet for now is one of our online dealers. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited February 2015
    Options

tisoypops said:

Sorry......only so much wood in the Mark Twain Forest to be had.  Ace wants to go up the east coast next--but for now, it's just the southeast / Gulf states.  They're cleaning our warehouse out as it is.

You're best bet for now is one of our online dealers. 

+1 for heading up the east coast. I think the Mid-Atlantic would be the most strategic and most profitable...  :D
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @DMW ... nice friend (stated while dripping with sarcasm).  You've got OO to the south of you and WG to the north.  Now you want the truck to drive out of my backyard, without stopping, and deliver some RW to you. 

• tisoypops
    Options
    Yeah @DMW, jeez! Selfish much? ;) where can WG be found, anyway?
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    As long as I can get my Rockwood in GA I'm happy!!! Thanks @stlcharcoal !

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• theyolksonyou
    Options

As long as I can get my Rockwood in GA I'm happy!!! Thanks @stlcharcoal !

Virtual agree button engaged