Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help! Pork Butt not progressing fast enough

Options
I put a 6.5 lb butt on at 11pm last night at 225.  It is almost 13 hours later and the temp of the pork is 162.  At 8am this morning it was 150 and I bumped the egg temp to 250.  I am not sure if it stalled at 150 or if it is stalling now.  I have to leave my house for a couple hours at 1pm (in 1 hour).   Should I bump the temp to 300?  Should I foil it?  Should I drop the temp to 200 and let it cook until I get back in 3-4 hours?

Comments

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Not an expert here but I would drop it down a little and come back. I don't see how you can ramp up the temps and get it to 195-205 in an hour. Just my .02 though. Someone may feel differently.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • ATLJack
    Options
    Thats kinda of where I was leaning.

Have you ever heard of a 6.5 lb butt taking t his long?
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    225 is low. I did the same thing with a 9# and it took 15 hrs with cranking it up at the end. Went through 2 stalls. Oh well. The result was fantastic and I'm a purist and love low n slow.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Not that surprising at 225. I have cooked butts as much as 17 hours that low. Will someone be home to keep watch on Egg? I would probably wrap in foil or bump temp if it was me. If someone is there to watch, I would foil it and give whoever is staying behind a temp to bring it in at. If I were going to temp and not feel, I would go to 205 internal.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • ATLJack
    Options
    My kids and 15 year old babysitter will be home, but I cant ask her to monitor it.  I have a pitmaster controlling the temp so I feel somewhat confident thatI can keep the temp stable at a low temp.
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    That should work then. Sounds like a good plan. Looking forward to finished pics.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • barretts1
    Options
    I used to cook mine at 225, then at the advice of others, tried it out at 275 and will never go back. Doesn't take near as long, better bark, and typically get one stall around 160, then wrap and let it ride. Good luck!