Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time Spatch birds, plus a pork shoulder!

Options
Decided to do some meat for the super bowl and have some left for the next week. As always pulled pork was the family's choice. I also decided to do a couple spatchcocked birds in the smoker while it was going.

I got the egg cleaned out and put in the big chunks as well as some hickory. I did continue with charcoal and wood to fill the bowl completely.
Next i seasoned my butt with plenty of my own recipe bbq rub and tossed in the AR. I am doing the butt on the extender and the chickens at the felt line, using the oval stone and 16" drip pan on level 1.5. Once the rig was temp stable, i put the shoulder in.

That is one ugly looking pork shoulder. Oh well. Plan is to run 220-250 all night and be done by 7 or 8 am, then pull and portion it out. Chickens will go on around 5am when i wake up if the pork is close to being done.

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

Comments

• LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    Sounds abut like the plan I'm running! Got chicken appetizers and other stuff to cook once the butt comes off in the am! Good luck!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Off to a fantastic start.
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Will check back in the morning. Nice start
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan. Hope you have a restful night

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Shoot im sitting at the kitchen table drinking coors pounders right now. No rest for the weary!

But the adjustable rig, best thing to happen to my egg since i got it in 2009. Should be standard issue.

• milesvdustin
    Options
    Looks like we hit a hickory chunk, just started kicking out the smoke! image

• milesvdustin
    Options
    In case you were wondering, yes, I am pretty sure a goose or something flying over the house took a crap on my egg. Darn thing is really dirty anyhow. Next storm will wash it up for me. That crap on the table is uncarbonized bits from a bag of royal oak. I dump my lump (rhymes!)(yay beer) in a rubbermaid bin and sort through it by hand.

• Mattman3969
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Just looked at your first pics again and I were you I would take a wadded up ball of foil to your dome because it looks like it is getting pretty flaky. Don't take it as me trying to be a know it all, just trying to help you from getting those black flakes in your food. I will generally let the egg run @ 600-650 for an he or so then hit it with the foil wad. That will take care of any built up gunk. I'm not a fan or nuclear clean burns.

analyze adapt overcome

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Like.
    That damn bird missed the bullseye.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    @Mattman3969, Ill get after it once this cook is done. I usually nuclear the egg after 5-6 bags of charcoal have gone through to clean it. I need to adjust my dome and bands anyways. But thanks for the heads up, I didnt realize it was that bad. I have never had any of that crap fall in my food that ive noticed.

• Mattman3969
    Options
    Glad your are on top of it!! Hope I did sound like a know it all.

analyze adapt overcome

• milesvdustin
    Options
    No no no no not at all! Im new to the forum but not the egg game, and i appreciate feedback and comments. You arent being a know it all, thats just good lookin out for a fellow egger!

• milesvdustin
    Options
    0530, egg stable at 230 degrees, pork at 175 IT. Likely in the plateau or getting out just now. Just threw the two spatch birds on the lower grate to join the party.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Sounds like your rocking right along.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Shoot dat bird. Da taste great
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Had a couple temp drops the last few hours, had to add charcoal. I am using the last of my royal oak and frontier stuff before digging in to the rockwood. Any reason why a firebowl full didnt last the usual 16+ hours? Mostly golfball size pieces and a bit smaller. Lit with a heat gun.

Its 0900, chicken is at 145 (with super crispy skin) and pork is at 189. Should both be done within the hour.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Fire bowl or fire ring? For long cooks I put enough lump that I can barely get the ps in. Firebowl is not enough.
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    It was just the bowl. Usually I can get it in just fine on that amount. Maybe the high winds messed me up today. Oh well, its done cooking and off the egg, pics to follow soon

• milesvdustin
    Options
    Here are the results. Chicken was awesome and the pork was ok. i didnt inject this time.