Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock chickens

Options
Just threw these two on indirect at 350. They're about 3 lbs each. Injected one with some butter, jalapeño, key lime juice and garlic powder. Rubbed with Head Country. The other no injection, rubbed with Bad Byron's butt rub. I picked that up for ribs tomorrow but figured I'd try it on a bird. Plan on pulling it off when breasts hit 165. About how long am I looking at? Was thinking about 45 min to an hour. image
LBGE | Conroe, TX

Comments

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Typically at 350 direct it would be 45 to an hour. (Closer to an hour) My guess is 1.5 hours indirect. I would bump it to 400 if to me is an issue and you like crispy skin. The real key is 165 IT in the breast for done ness. You could be right, I usually cook 5 lb'rs.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    Options
    Cool, thanks @jhl192. I bumped it to 400 about 15 or 20 min in and I will check temp a little after 1 hr mark.
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • tisoypops
    Options
    Pulled it off at 1 hr and 5 minutes. Breasts were already 175. They were really forgiving though and still really juicy. The injected bird was everyone's favorite, but both were awesome. It's no wonder spatchcock is a favorite around here. Definitely gonna be a regular for me. image
    LBGE | Conroe, TX