Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thoughts from Pork Butt Pro's, please

Options

I have a 9.77 pound bone in pork butt that I am considering cutting in half to help speed up a low and slow cook, I planned on smoking it whole indirect at 250 dome but do to the bad weather coming in to Michigan tonight (6 to 8 inches of snow tonight with maybe another 4 to 6 tomorrow) I was thinking of trying to cut it as close to half as I can eyeball and sticking them on at 8 AM for a FTC to have ready for game time verses keeping it whole and going 15/18 hours through the night. My XL is not covered nor do I have a rain ware cap.

Thanks, 

Chuck

Dimondale Michigan

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    If you half them, make sure they don't touch. They more than likely WONT cook at the same rate, so be mindful there as well. Rotating is not needed. Stick with 275-ish to 300 for grate level temp and there won't be much of a stall (from my eggsperience).

I don't use Texas Crutch (foil) because I like the bark crispy. I find that foiling thru the stall makes bark soggy and spongy.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    You should consider doing it turbo. Also, remember that the butt will shrink considerably after it's cook. Not sure how many people you are going to feed. Another possibility is to cook it low and slow until you get a decent crust, then wrap in foil, and finish it in the oven. Once you wrap it, the cooking process speeds up.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options

If you half them, make sure they don't touch. They more than likely WONT cook at the same rate, so be mindful there as well. Rotating is not needed. Stick with 275-ish to 300 for grate level temp and there won't be much of a stall (from my eggsperience).

I don't use Texas Crutch (foil) because I like the bark crispy. I find that foiling thru the stall makes bark soggy and spongy.

@davidrichardson thanks I have done 10/12 Pork Butts on the BGE but most have been a 2 pack from SAMS averaging 7 to 8 pounds each and cooking to temp of 198/205 when the bone pulled clean and they typically have taken 1 3/4 hours to 2 hours a pound at 250 dome, what's  your thoughts on the 2 at 275/300 dome. Thanks in advance.
  • Silver_Britches
    Options
    I've done it, and it came out fine. The dual-probe Maverick was vital, because one was done about 90 mins before the other.
    A LBGE perched atop Lookout Mountain, Fort Payne, Alabama
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    They will move much quicker... Maybe 1 to 1.15 hr per pound. Just remember, a butt is a butt is a butt.... They will do what they want when they want with little regard for your desires. Patience and temp management.

Do you have a maverick or iGrill to remote temp monitor???

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Grillmagic
    Options

They will move much quicker... Maybe 1 to 1.15 hr per pound. Just remember, a butt is a butt is a butt.... They will do what they want when they want with little regard for your desires. Patience and temp management.

Do you have a maverick or iGrill to remote temp monitor???

I have a Maverick 733 and was planning on putting one probe in what ever ends up looking smaller of the two set at 185 and the 2nd on the grid at 235/265

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    If you are pulling set it for 195 IT and leave closed till then.  When it probes like buttah or the bone pulls out easily with two fingers it is done.  No peeking.   :))
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Everyone is different..... 195, 200, 201, etc...... I'm a 202 guy for butts.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    What did you decide on doing?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Grillmagic
    Options
    I'm going to start checking them at 185 just to keep a eye on them, I won't pull off the BGE until the bone pulls clean which for me has been around 203. I just cut them in two and I ended up trussing/tieing one. Going to shoot for getting them on at 6:30/7:00 AM at 250/275 indirect with some apple chunks and hope to FTC around 4/5 and have ready to eat after 6:00 until everything's gone
  • Grillmagic
    Options
    Still waiting, MPD's and 2-5 pound Butts