Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking burgers tonight: feedback on plans

Options
So I am making couple burgers for g/f and I
Grass-fed ground sirloin
Roquefort cheese
Good, local made pimento cheese
Bacon
Will fry and egg, runny yolk
Three cheese loaf bread, slice. Will lightly fry in the bacon grease
Mushrooms and onions, lightly sautéed
Proprietary beef rub that will mix in the meat
Will make some sweet potato fries on the side, wrapped in bacon and light drizzle of honey on them. The honey is a bourbon honey
Kingsford mesquite coals
Will be grilled on weber kettle

Any ideas to improve this? What am I miss? I am thinking about going by and getting some Lusty Monk mustard, bets mustard I have ever had. But it is 25 minutes out of the way to get to place that carries and not sure worth that. 

I will post pics tonight or tomorrow of the process. 

And to drink I got a bottle of Toasted head barrel aged Cabernet Sauvignon 2012.
Boom

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Jalapeños? It is a vegetable lol. Sounds like a solid plan. What is this kings ford mesquite? (Mesquite is a strong smoking wood. Usually meat handles it well. Question is will the G/f??
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    grege345 said:

Jalapeños? It is a vegetable lol. Sounds like a solid plan. What is this kings ford mesquite? (Mesquite is a strong smoking wood. Usually meat handles it well. Question is will the G/f??

I have used that charcoal before with her when cooking beef and she likes. It is not very strong and I like it with beef. 

I could do a jalapeno for me. She does not like spicy. I am grilling at her house so using the Weber i got her for Christmas instead of one of my Eggs
    Boom
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Never seen that before. Hope it turnsnout well for ya nI've been thinking about getting a smokey joe for the bed of my work truck.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Sounds good. If she hammers you on needing veggies you could sub the bacon fried for zucchini fries. They are solid
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Chubbs said:

Sounds good. If she hammers you on needing veggies you could sub the bacon fried for zucchini fries. They are solid

How do you make yours chubbs?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Chubbs said:

Nah, she is cool with lack of veggies for this meal ha
    Boom
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Sounds good to me. Where've you been man?!
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:

Around man, around. Are you going tot he thing at jack Oliver's in few weeks? theyr grilling and having a blood drive

I don't get on here as much as I used to just bc have not been grilling much.

But I did recently order a new cutting board and a custom chef knife. Once they come in I will post some pics. 
    Boom
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    I think I would make some of those MPD's!
    :))
    Duncan, SC
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Mross said:

I think I would make some of those MPD's!
    :))

MPDs?
    Boom
  • JWF
    JWF Posts: 26
    Options
    @FanofFanboys my best burgers are when I sear the burgers in a cast iron skillet with bacon grease. Get skillet nice and hot, about 3 or 4 min per side and they come out perfect, juicy, and with a nice crunchy exterior.
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Mexican Panty Droppers
    Search this forum for MPD's

Duncan, SC
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    JWF said:

@FanofFanboys my best burgers are when I sear the burgers in a cast iron skillet with bacon grease. Get skillet nice and hot, about 3 or 4 min per side and they come out perfect, juicy, and with a nice crunchy exterior.

While I prefer grill i do love cooking in a cast iron. But she has a flat top ceramic stove and supposedly cast iron is not ideal for those. 
    Boom
  • sodigthisbigcrux
    Options
    I'm having deja vu..

by seriously, that sounds amazing..

I'm making a bunch of burgers for tomorrows fight.
    After reading your plan, I need to step my game up
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

Dyal_SC said:

Around man, around. Are you going tot he thing at jack Oliver's in few weeks? theyr grilling and having a blood drive

But I did recently order a new cutting board and a custom chef knife. Once they come in I will post some pics. 
    I think I am going to Jack Oliver's.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • FanOfFanboys
    edited January 2015
    Options

I'm having deja vu..

by seriously, that sounds amazing..

I'm making a bunch of burgers for tomorrows fight.
    After reading your plan, I need to step my game up

Excuse me sir, but do you OG?

Ha I forget about multi-forum guys
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Chubbs said:

Dyal_SC said:

I think I am going to Jack Oliver's.
    Sweet. I think I am going to try and make it too
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Fanboy Fan, You can use CI on ceramic flat tops, just don't move it around. There have been some cases I've read of people's cooktops cracking while using CI DOs, but they're far and few between. My parent's TH house in Myrtle Beach has one and we use a CI griddle and pan without issue.

Did you order another knife and board in addition to the ones you posted a week or 2 ago? I'm jelly.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options

Fanboy Fan, You can use CI on ceramic flat tops, just don't move it around. There have been some cases I've read of people's cooktops cracking while using CI DOs, but they're far and few between. My parent's TH house in Myrtle Beach has one and we use a CI griddle and pan without issue.

Did you order another knife and board in addition to the ones you posted a week or 2 ago? I'm jelly.
    Ha no the same ones, they just have not arrived yet. 
    The knife should be here Monday though and hopefully the board beginning of next week too. I do have some new pics of that knife I can post. I can't wait to give it to the g/f so i can use it!
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options

And good to know about CI on cermaic. I was under impression was kind of a no go. 
    Boom
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options

What is this???  Please elaborate....

And instead of toasted head, have you tried "Carnivor" wine (their Cab)? Should be $10-$13 and is readily available out here in PA - not sure where you are.  I highly recommend it. Open it and let breath about 3 hours, you can cut breathing time in half if you put in a decanter, but 2 hours would not hurt either.   It is one of our favorites and we buy it by the case because it is a very versatile wine. We prefer it to Toasted Head.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    The other two knives are not mine but someone else's order that was done same time as mine

imageimageimageimageimage

Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:

What is this???  Please elaborate....

And instead of toasted head, have you tried "Carnivor" wine (their Cab)? Should be $10-$13 and is readily available out here in PA - not sure where you are.  I highly recommend it. Open it and let breath about 3 hours, you can cut breathing time in half if you put in a decanter, but 2 hours would not hurt either.   It is one of our favorites and we buy it by the case because it is a very versatile wine. We prefer it to Toasted Head.
    ha I will elaborate in a bit.

but thanks for heads up about wine. I am a whisky guy normally and bought this on a whim but I will my eye out for it as I do like reds when I am eating beef
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    The handle on the knife is Tamboti. The bolsters are done in 2x2 Carbon Fiber with green/tan G10 spacers. The ferrule is buffalo horn.
    Boom
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Are those knives extra-tall or is that just the aspect of the photos?
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options

My knife is the medium sized one. For reference the cutting edge is just under 7" and the handle is right around 5.5"
    Boom
  • Eggcelsior
    Options

My knife is the medium sized one. For reference the cutting edge is just under 7" and the handle is right around 5.5"
    Cool. The belly of the largest blade looks really tall, similar to a Takeda. Are they less than $300? How thin are they?
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options

Cool. The belly of the largest blade looks really tall, similar to a Takeda. Are they less than $300? How thin are they?
    I can't speak to thickness until I get my hands on it but here is a price breakdown for those three and I am just going to quote the knifemaker directly:

These are my take on the traditional stacked Japanese wa handle. I personally prefer this style of handle due not only to aesthetics, but function as well. I find them far more comfortable than their western counterparts and they have the bonus of being quite easily replaced should the want or need arise.

Pricing on these models is as follows:

8.5" Chef/Gyuto - 250USD - 1084 Steel/350USD - Damascus

7" Gyuto - 200USD - 1084 Steel/300USD - Damascus

Paring/Utility Knife - 125USD - 1084 Steel/200USD - Damascus

Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    edited January 2015
    Options

So the one I have without damascus would be $200. Like anything it can go up if
    get a handle material that would justify it. 

The bigger knife has a snakewood
    handle, and I love snakewood

The paring knife handle is Cocobolo. The Bolster is
    Snakewood/Olivewood/Snakewood with red G10 spacers. The ferrule is buffalo
    horn.

Boom