Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking two butts - double the time per lb?

Options
Cooking two 7lb butts - do I cook as one 7lb or as 14. .... I'm thinking as 7lb
Charlotte, nc

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Plan same as one 7# just don't let them touch. Also know that they all act differently so one will likely cook faster than the other..
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Plan as cooking 1. Are they bone-in? They will likely hit stall at different time and may stay in stall a considerably different amount of time.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I did 4 at once and it still closely followed the normal approx time based on weights of solo. Probe them both if you can.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Question:  I've heard several rules of thumb for time to finish on various cuts of meat.  I'm wondering if poundage is the correct variable to predict cooking time.

I just finished a 3.25 lb center cut from a brisket ... the store said the cut was a third of the full packer.  It took nine hours (grill temp of 250) to reach an IT of 200 degrees where the brisket probed like buttuh.  Since this cut was only a third of the size of the full then a ten pound packer should take 27 hours ... and a 15 pound packer a little over 40 hours.  @Ladeback69 posted that he has cooked a few 14 to 15 lb briskets in 14 to 15 hours.  Opps.

I'm wondering if thickness isn't a better indicator of how long it will take a piece of meat to cook to temp.  We do that with steaks ... yes?  Why isn't that the correct approach when smoking a piece of meat at low temps?  It takes a certain amount of time for heat to reach the core of the meat and raise the temp to our target.  And the distance the heat travels is based on thickness ... not overall weight.

Agree/disagree? 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options

Question:  I've heard several rules of thumb for time to finish on various cuts of meat.  I'm wondering if poundage is the correct variable to predict cooking time.

I just finished a 3.25 lb center cut from a brisket ... the store said the cut was a third of the full packer.  It took nine hours (grill temp of 250) to reach an IT of 200 degrees where the brisket probed like buttuh.  Since this cut was only a third of the size of the full then a ten pound packer should take 27 hours ... and a 15 pound packer a little over 40 hours.  @Ladeback69 posted that he has cooked a few 14 to 15 lb briskets in 14 to 15 hours.  Opps.

I'm wondering if thickness isn't a better indicator of how long it will take a piece of meat to cook to temp.  We do that with steaks ... yes?  Why isn't that the correct approach when smoking a piece of meat at low temps?  It takes a certain amount of time for heat to reach the core of the meat and raise the temp to our target.  And the distance the heat travels is based on thickness ... not overall weight.

Agree/disagree? 

I'm pretty new, but from what I've read on several different sites is thickness is the key.  If you had a 1 lb meatball or a 1 lb 1/4 inch steak which one would be done first, just saying
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options

Agree/disagree? 

When I was smoking those briskets I was cooking around 275 or so for most of the cook. Not sure that 25 degrees will make that much of a difference, but I guess it could. I also use a meat tenderizer and that may help a little. I haven't done a brisket without it. You could have had a long stall too. I like to cook larger cuts and have stuff leftover for future meals.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    I tend to find the rule of averages applies to whole pieces of meat (a whole butt or brisket). When you get into cut down portions or halves you are bringing in variables that cannot be consistently calculated. That has been my experience and observation. 

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Smokinpig said:

I tend to find the rule of averages applies to whole pieces of meat (a whole butt or brisket). When you get into cut down portions or halves you are bringing in variables that cannot be consistently calculated. That has been my experience and observation. 

+1

I also believe fat content is another factor in variable times.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Jeepster47
    Options

... You could have had a long stall too. I like to cook larger cuts and have stuff leftover for future meals.

@Ladeback69 ... with only the two of us, a chicken cook provides leftovers for the next day or so.  But, the real reason I went with the small brisket was lack of courage.  Looked at a full packer a couple of weeks ago and it was priced at $80.  Left me feeling weak in the knees to think about a first cook with that much on the grill.

Here's a crude graph of the temp vs time for the brisket.  All data hand recorded and plotted.

The grill and dome temps were a steady 250 degrees for the total cook.  Can't explain the knee in the curve, but there wasn't a stall like I've seen on pork butts.

• Ladeback69
    Options
    @jeep

... You could have had a long stall too. I like to cook larger cuts and have stuff leftover for future meals.

@Ladeback69 ... with only the two of us, a chicken cook provides leftovers for the next day or so.  But, the real reason I went with the small brisket was lack of courage.  Looked at a full packer a couple of weeks ago and it was priced at $80.  Left me feeling weak in the knees to think about a first cook with that much on the grill.

Here's a crude graph of the temp vs time for the brisket.  All data hand recorded and plotted.

The grill and dome temps were a steady 250 degrees for the total cook.  Can't explain the knee in the curve, but there wasn't a stall like I've seen on pork butts.
    That works out to be about 1.5 to 1.75 hours per pound. I have never done one that small so I can't speak from experience, but at 250 cooking a 14 pounder I would think would be around 1.5 hours to get it done. I think having a point with all the fat helps with cooking. The big question, did it taste good. By the way I like your handle. I used to have Jeep Cherokee with a 6" lift and big tires. Boy do I miss it at time's.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @Ladeback69 ... thanks for handle mention ... been driving Grand Cherokees for 15 years now ... love them.

Should have made the x-axis hours instead of minutes 'cuz I think it lead you astray on your calculations.  The brisket was 3.25 pounds and it cooked for 9 hours (540 minutes).  That's 2.75 hours per pound, which is well outside the normal range of cook times mentioned.

And the answer to your taste question is yes it did.  Will probably use hickory or oak chunks next time for more smoke, but otherwise just repeat the rest of the details.

• Ladeback69
    Options

@Ladeback69 ... thanks for handle mention ... been driving Grand Cherokees for 15 years now ... love them.

Should have made the x-axis hours instead of minutes 'cuz I think it lead you astray on your calculations.  The brisket was 3.25 pounds and it cooked for 9 hours (540 minutes).  That's 2.75 hours per pound, which is well outside the normal range of cook times mentioned.

And the answer to your taste question is yes it did.  Will probably use hickory or oak chunks next time for more smoke, but otherwise just repeat the rest of the details.

Try those woods with a little cherry. Its great with beef. 9 hours, that one is hard to explain. Don't be afraid to try a small 10 or 12 pound packer. Invite some friends over or take it to work. I'm glad it was good. I would have bumped the temp up to 275 or a little more, once it hits 140 to 150. Your not going to get much more smoke and you would be fine on temp. You could have wrapped it foil at that those temps too and it should have gotten done quicker.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Think about it this way, when you cook two cookies in your oven do you double the time?
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    surface area vs thickness, so different cuts. brisket vs. roast are going to act different