Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen - sanitize between readings?

Options
So I know technically you should clean a thermo after reading an unsafe temp temp before sticking back in to check again, but in practice is there really a risk here? Thinking once the germs from the dirty thermapen hit the meat that's eventually up to temp all will get killed before cool-down. Thoughts? My family hasn't died yet but probably not the best rule to live by!

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Oops never done this, standing by. Then again I'm never raw when it goes in the meat has hit 100+ degrees.
    Seattle, WA
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I usually wipe mine off on a paper towel. Meh.

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I sometimes wipe with a wet paper towel, or if the shirt I'm wearing is going in the laundry, I just run it through my arm pit to wipe it. 
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    That is what pant legs are made for. :D

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    For eggfests, I sanitize it between sticks to be courteous. ;) At home, I just use a paper towel. lol. Haven't died yet either. ;) I do however religiously wash and clean my grilling tongs between flips, especially when grilling poultry.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    This is your family &/or guests food so do what ya think is right. I rinse and sanitize when I'm using it at work. At home if it is probing the same piece of meat I'll usually just wipe clean with a clean rag or paper towel. Then clean and sanitize when I'm done.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I wipe mine with a shop towel,or, just strategically place it where the probe isn't touching my grody table between probings, then after cook, isopropyl alcohol wipe down.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I let the dog lick it. No seriously if the temp is way below safe I will sanitize it. If it is pretty close I do the paper towel thing too. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    your supposed to clean those things? Damn that explains the explosive diarrhea...
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options

your supposed to clean those things? Damn that explains the explosive diarrhea...

:)) ~:> :@) 3:-O :-&
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    I just lick it off, then stick it under the hot water when I get in the house!

1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Never thought about it.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Use my sweaty pits. >:)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    rifrench said:

Same here, without the hot water.
    I live alone, and watch old Julia Child shows on PBS where she flops raw cheekuns all over the kitchen.  Build up your own girly-man immune systems, peeps!  
    \m/

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    edited January 2015
    Options
    rifrench said:

I lick it, no need to rinse =P~

Options
    As others have mentioned, depends what it is and what the temps are.

These are handy when cooking off-site where facilities are Not readily available.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Yes, of course I don't want to poise myself or others. You can use any number of wipes as shown by @DMW. I use either the ones made by thermoworks or Lysol or Clorox. Always on chicken or raw meats. Also on tongs or other utensils.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Wipe it with a paper towel and call it good. When your food hits the desired temp, the minuscule amount of bacteria will be destroyed as the probe enters the meat. Too simple
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    Would Clorox Wipes work, or are they not food safe?

Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    I sanitize mine my licking it. MMMmmm
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @DMW I saw some of those at the Dr's office...
  • Froman
    Froman Posts: 201
    Options
    I miss the like button!!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I just insert the probe through one of the petals in the daisy wheel for a little while until it reads about 200.

FWIW I do the same thing with tongs if I am cooking hot.  I take off the daisy wheel and stick them down through the top.  The spring loaded tongs will just sorta hold themselves in place and auto-sanitize.  

On a random side note- if you go to one of those Japanese hibachi cook-in-front-of-you places don't watch too closely if you are worried about food safety.  They have no problem moving ice cold chicken around and then flingin a shrimp into your mouth with the same spatula.    

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    You gotta lick it, before you stick it
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    like dammit like!
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options

On a random side note- if you go to one of those Japanese hibachi cook-in-front-of-you places don't watch too closely if you are worried about food safety.  They have no problem moving ice cold chicken around and then flingin a shrimp into your mouth with the same spatula.    
    And that's this side of the ocean! 

Eat in some of the off the beaten track restaurants in Japan and you just know you're going to die before morning.  Or visit the markets and see how the slaughtered meat is treated ... you'll swear that even a ceramic kiln can not kill the germs incubating on the carcases hanging in the sun.  Yet, they have one of the longest lifespans in the world ... go figure. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    They're skinny cause they **** their brains out after every bout of food poisoning.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    paqman said:

rifrench said:

I lick it, no need to rinse =P~
    +1

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Thermapen gets a paper towel wipe between sticks and I sanitize with isopropyl alcohol or a Lysol or Clorox wipe in a pinch afterward. Nobody has died yet. I use a couple of tongs. One for the flip and one to pull it off. The raw meat goes on by hand that's usually gloved.
    Flint, Michigan
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I just rinse the Therapen under hot water after each use and wipe with a paper towel.