Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg sweating black, smokey tar??

Options
CoalCreek
CoalCreek Posts: 79
edited January 2015 in EggHead Forum
Ever seen anything like this?? Just finished an 18 hr butt cook at 225-50 and jacked it up to 550-600 for it's first ever clean. Egg is about 3 months old, maybe 15 cooks deep, only low n slows.  This is the first time the temp has been above 350.  Heard a faint tea kettle type of noise and finally to my surprise spotted a little bit of this smokey smelling crap seeping out of the front of the body.  Then I peeked around and saw pic number 2.  What gives? Should I be worried?
Minneapolis, MN

Comments

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Is it coming from under the band? The felt area looks fine. Need some wise experts to have a look.
  • CoalCreek
    Options
    Not exclusively, but there is seepage coming from behind the band as well.  The majority is just seeping right out through the finish
    Minneapolis, MN
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Your fine. Grease coming out. It'll clean off with a little degreaser later. You're not the only one.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Egg is sweating. Did you use a drip pan with the butt cook?
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    CoalCreek said:
    Ever seen anything like this?? Just finished an 18 hr butt cook at 225-50 and jacked it up to 550-600 for it's first ever clean. Egg is about 3 months old, maybe 15 cooks deep, only low n slows.  This is the first time the temp has been above 350.  Heard a faint tea kettle type of noise and finally to my surprise spotted a little bit of this smokey smelling crap seeping out of the front of the body.  Then I peeked around and saw pic number 2.  What gives? Should I be worried?
    It's never happened to me.   YET.

But I've seen others post the exact same thing, so no worries, just wipe it up.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Not unusual, I've had it happen 2, maybe 3 times. Yours is a little gloppier than what I've had, and more located than what I've had. Mine has looked like a pox all over the bottom section.

From what people say, it tends to happen after lots of low temperature cooks. Then the gunk gets mixed w. the water the ceramics can absorb in damp weather. Then, cook at a higher temperature, and the goop sweats out thru the small cracks in the exterior glaze.  Icky for sure, but no one has posted during my readings that said it was anything other than a cleaning prob.
  • CoalCreek
    Options
    OK Good to hear.  I left her roaring at around 650 degrees, and the sweating has since stopped after about 30 minutes.  A pretty good amount of liquid came out of that thing, enough to make a couple small puddles of sludge on the ground.  First 3 or 4 low n slows I just let the grease drip onto the PS.  Maybe that's the cause.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    liquid smoke. Nice. Lick it and save it. Your fine :D
  • CoalCreek
    Options
    I did taste it before thinking to myself, hmm ingesting unknown black tar-like substances probably isn't a cardinal trait of the top of the food chain
    Minneapolis, MN
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Use a drip pan. Mine has never done this, ever.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Its the ghosts of the sacrificed animals seeping out of the sacrificial urn.....  Don't sweat it.  Wipe down with a little simple green and you'll be fine!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Use a drip pan. Mine has never done this, ever.
    This is the answer. You can let it drip onto the setter, but as it is just ceramic it will suck up what it can't burn off. Next cook you are dealing with lots of grease laden moisture. 
    Pork buts can lose as much as ⅓ of their weight as vapour and fat drippings, a drip pan will reduce the build-up considerably, unless you like that kinda war paint look. 
    :))

EDIT - @fishlessman has the ugliest I've ever seen.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,756
    edited January 2015
    Options
    dont worry about it, by the time its warm enough to wash it the snow and rain will have taken care of it.

i dont think it is ugly skiddy
    :D

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it