Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crema ... it's what's for dinner

Jeepster47
Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
A week or so ago @anton cooked some of those *&^% hasselhof potatoes.  It's dumb, but hasselhof potatoes are my downfall ... none of mine have turned out good ... yet.  But, he said they were topped with Crema.  When queried, he explained that it's a Mexican style sour cream that's in all the stores in his area.  Searched high and low in my local area before finally finding it across the river in a Schnucks store. 

So tonight we had Crema on a bed of baked potato with a side of monster pork chop.  I think my BGE dealer is taking advantage of me ... every time I visit with him he comes up with something "you've just got to try" ... this time it was a "monster chop."  He was right again, it's good. The chop (cut two bones thick) was lightly coated with Dukes mayo and coated heavily with some very fresh Penzeys lemon pepper.   The egg was loaded with Rockwood to the top of the firebowl and brought up to 500 degrees - Smokeware cap fully open and bottem vent open 1.25 inches.  The chop was cooked, on a grill about 4 inches above the felt line, for 10 minutes per side ... at 500 degrees, even with a Thermopen the transition from "not done-to-over done" happens very fast!  Nine minutes per side next time seems about right.

Creama and the sides:

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Awesome looking grub my friend. The size of the pork chop really impresses me. This is what I like to see my friend. Thus I offer:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Very nice Tom. When I finally get all this food cooked, I'm headed north. Please PM me address so I can plug into GPS.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

Terrific lookin chop!

Crema is good stuff. Luckily, we can get it just about anywhere here :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    I hope you enjoyed the crema, the chops look fantastic. I like your improvised high grate.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    @anton ... yes, we did enjoy the crema ... thanks ... have often wondered why the "sour cream" was so mild when eating Mexican ... now I know.

Improvised?  Why that method is as solid as a brick.  Wish CGS would make a 4~4.5" high grill extender for the PSWoo ... size it to fit the inexpensive Weber grill on top and I'd buy it in a minute.  I'm fighting it, but might end up resorting to the nuts and bolts method.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I just found a latino market near work. Been buying crema and queso like crazy.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Love the crema. We get potatoes stuffed with pork pastor meat, pineapple, cheese, butter and crema at a taco stand in Mexico.
    They mash everything together in the potato skin. Delicious!

SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset