Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for BGE Owners??

If you could own/work at a BGE dealer would you still use your egg as much? Or would you use it more? The benefits would be great if you could get a great discount on merchandize. Do demo cooks etc... My local dealer ( only one) does absolutely nothing for the promotion of the product. Plus, they are a FULL retail store. I wish there was a way to get to be a franchise dealer so I could kick their butts.
George Foreman? Who? 
Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
Large, Minimax-soon

Comments

• If I had the opportunity to own one I would do definitely cook more on it while at the store. Thats all I would do on the weekends for Demos to new customers. Have free samples set up and waiting on them and of course the employees.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I couldn't think of better marketing with food off the egg upon entry or exit of any store
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• We have two dealers in Saskatoon, not even sure either knows how to use an Egg. No promotion at all. I have been to ShishCabob's in Lake Havasu, teriffic dealer, he even teaches classes. You can tell as soon as you walk in the door you are in a true BBQ shop. I remember walking into one of the dealers at the north end of Saskatoon and asking what accesories they had, I was looking for a hat or patio lanterns or anything. They looked like they had never heard of the stuff. My dream would be to own a dealership, my demo egg would never cool down!
    LBGE,Mini Max,Stoker Meadow Lake Sask.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I wonder if the eggs alone could support a store?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Jeremiah said:
    According to my dealer the answer is a resounding NO. My assessment is that's from a combination of thin profit margins, low demand and competition. Once I looked at the number of dealers in PA for a friend and I was dumbfounded how many there were. I asked our wholesale rep about that and he said years ago when Ed Fisher started to expand he would allow ma and pa shops to become dealers even if they only sold a unit or two a year. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    pay attention kids, this is how it works: factory gets distributors to buy the product at a distributor price. Distributor sends out salesmen who work on commission.

By the time a salesman gets through pushing the dealer, sometimes, has no choice except to bring the Egg line in.

Then they find out there are 9 stores that sell the Egg in the neighborhood then they lowball the Eggs to get them out of the place. The dealer has to concentrate on the products he has that he can sell at the best margins. Eggs ain't one of those products guys.

However, go look at Eggs-By-The-Bay and The Dizzy Pig shop. they do well for the reasons most of you have stated. Keeping the Eggs lit and stuffed with finger food, classes and all of the Egg related products you can imagine.

I've even given some thought at opening an Egg store only if I could buy out the local dealer and make a deal with the distributor to limit new stores around me.
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    I have one store in a 30 mile area.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    The dealer here is a furniture store. It's horrible. The sales force looks at you like you have two heads if you ask for something specific. I asked for a table nest, tried to sell me a nest. When I finally got her to understand, we can order it... [-(
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    We have two dealers in Saskatoon, not even sure either knows how to use an Egg. No promotion at all. I have been to ShishCabob's in Lake Havasu, teriffic dealer, he even teaches classes. You can tell as soon as you walk in the door you are in a true BBQ shop. I remember walking into one of the dealers at the north end of Saskatoon and asking what accesories they had, I was looking for a hat or patio lanterns or anything. They looked like they had never heard of the stuff. My dream would be to own a dealership, my demo egg would never cool down!
    I'm betting your two stores sell Loveless Ash Vacs and/or Thermo-Rite fireplace enclosures. Northwinds (Canadian Distributor for BGE) has rights to all these products. @Sundown has it right I think, the local distributor handles a number of products and uses one salesman to push as many products as possible through the same retail channel. Makes sense as one shipment to t retailer would include eggs, spas, fireplaces, patio heaters, etc... 
    Associated Energy Systems in Kent WA is the distributor for BGE in the US PNW. They wholesale a ton of products. Looking through the AES's list, my local BGE dealer in Bellingham WA sells at least 10 of the products listed. It is all based on leverage. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Jeremiah said:
    Never seen that. Smitty could probably provide a realistic answer.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980

Jeremiah said:
    Never seen that. Smitty could probably provide a realistic answer.
    Whoa! The Canuck Troll pokes his head out this early in the season? Spring must be right around the corner!
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    My local Indianapolis dealer in a section called "Broad Ripple" has a hardware store competitor with two locations. I have to drive by the hardware store to get to Broad Ripple.

Chef JJ sells only BGE stuff, and seems to be doing quite well as he has a 30' trailer with several eggs that he uses for his catering business, and he just bought a warehouse downtown that he intends to use for cooking classes.

This guy is an actual chef, he does not have an oven, or a stove, or a hot plate. Everything he makes, he makes on an egg. He gets $35 a head for classes and they're always at his capacity of a dozen customers. He feeds the hell out of you for that money, and teaches us how to make things you didn't know was even possible.

He sources locally for all his meats, and when he makes Huevos Rancheros for us, man.... it's lick the bowl good.

Stop in on a Saturday morning, and he'll feed you french toast, prime rib hash, and poached eggs just because you're a customer.

That's how I became an Egghead, I walked in one day, just to see what the hell was in this place. He fed me, showed me how to light it, showed me how to use it and clean it.

I walked out a couple thousand dollars lighter than I walked in... and never regretted it.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited January 2015

DieselkW said:
    ... He gets $35 a head for classes and they're always at his capacity of a dozen customers. He feeds the hell out of you for that money, and teaches us how to make things you didn't know was even possible. ...

Good info, but you've got to update it ... $35 deposit for a $60 class.  Was curious, so did a quick look.  Wow, 13 classes between now and the end of March ... 11 of them are sold out. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• We are a stand alone Egg store here in Silicon Valley (Santa Clara, CA).  There are quite a few dealers around us.   We have built our business on offering great customer service over the last 10 years of being in business.  We were told this type on concept retail operation wouldn't work, we have limited hours (weekends only), and offer monthly scheduled classes.  We grew from 600 sq ft showroom to our current 4000 sq ft warehouse/showroom/classroom facility.  You can see pics of our operation on the EggsbytheBay.com website. I sort of compare this concept to the  modern day "Apple Store", you can buy Apple products in many different retailers, but yet there something special about walking into a store dedicated to the product you have interest in.  Like any business, can you afford to let the business grow at its own pace?   Can your area support this concept?  Important questions you will need the answers for at some time in the process.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2015
    @SMITTYtheSMOKER - now if we could just get you to come north of the 49th......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!