Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

complete beginner

Options
cap'n mike
cap'n mike Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a true rookie, although I've owned an egg for about 10 yrs I've never known how to use it. I purchased it at a garage sale and used it basicall as a normal grill on and off for yrs. It's an old one with no damper, thermometer, I use a firebrick for a top cap, and I've only just learned through these letters that I should use be using lump charcoal instead of bricquettes. I've just recently replaced the firebox and firering at a cost of 6x what I paid for the egg originally and I need all the help I can get getting rstarted on the right track. thanks for any offered , Cap'n Mike

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    cap'n mike, Just stay tuned in on the forum. You may get a variety of answers..but the basics are here. I "assume" you have BGE's parts numbers, and if you have the BGE with the registration copywrite seal "BGE" on the dome, then you have the hardened ceramic high temperature "EGG". If not, then use caution about higher than 500F for cooks.
    Yes..briquettes are only a emergency cook fuel. Stay with top quality oak or hardwood lump charcoal.
    Ask any questions you might have..Welcome to the forum.
    Char-Woody[p]

• Jo
    Jo Posts: 26
    Options
    cap'n mike,
    Welcome. In my one month ownership, I've learned a tremendous amount from this site. First rule: if you have the book that came with the egg, except for assembly info, don't bother with the recipes. Best solutions are here, tried and true. Second rule, ask anything you want. So many answers, so much willingness to help. From butts to ribs to chix, rubs, sauces, etc., pour over the recipe section and then get cookin'. Keep us posted and ask anything Someone is always listening with great ideas.
    Best,[p]Jo

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    cap'n mike,
    Glad you made it to the forum after all these years. Everyone here will help you out in any way we can. You just need to pose a question and you will get a bunch of replies - many will be somewhat different. The great thing about the Egg and ceramic cooking is that it is very forgiving at low temps and the Egg allows many different ways to do everything - very few strict do's and don'ts with Egg cooking.[p]Tim

[ul][li]--- Tim's BGE Website & Cookbook ---[/ul]
  • cap'n mike
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    thanks for the comeback , my egg doesn't have BGE on it anywhere , I still believe it is an egg but much older model today I did ribs with a drip pan with water underneath using the newly purchaced charcoal & its coming out great ( I think) I don't have any idea about temperature , no gauge,do you know of any written instruction booklets or something along that line that might help me . Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advanced cap'n mike

• Unknown
    Options
    cap'n mike, just an idea, but if I were you I'd buy a BGE temp guage and just take an appropiate sized masonry drill bit and slowly and carefully drill through the lid in the approximate same location on a BGE. ^oo^~

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    one feral kat,
    I you decide to drill the hole yourself, place a piece of tape on EGG where you want to drill. The tape will keep the outer surface from chipping.

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    one feral kat,
    Be very careful if you drill. Those old clay eggs get pretty brittle after awhile.
    JimW

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    cap'n mike, just keep that one for low and slow cooks or steaks in the 400 maximum and it will serve you for a looooong time. Check JJ's visitors profile for a picture of his older red clay unit.
    You've already recieved good advice on the drilling and thermometer placement. If you need the stem measurement for drill size yell out. I would drill it about 1/32 larger than the stem size or 1/16th. If you get it too tight the carbon will cause it to stick in the hole.
    Use the forum for your guide..no books!!
    C~W[p]

• cap'n mike
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    I was unaware that this thermometer would have to be drilled in. I thought it was a exterior surface mounted unit. I have found a location about 40 miles from me that handles these units perhaps it'd be worth the trip to see if this conversion is do-able and worth while. On the other hand today ( Father's Day ) I used a recipe from this forum for rosemary grilled pork loin, which came out terrific and a few racks of ribs ( which needed a better bbq sauce ) but all came out very well, just adjusting my firebrick on top as damper. so maybe I'll just leave well enough alone as far as this unit goes and just keep pickin' you guys brains for recipes and adapting temps and times to my ole' egg. thank's again all. cap'n mike

• Unknown
    Options
    cap'n mike,[p]I have recently restored my own 1960-something Kamado.
    - I have been thinking about drilling as well, but
    have been waiting for an intrepid soul to give it
    a go with THEIR smoker... I guess this is a bit
    selfish, but this newly restored bad boy just wouldn't
    look as good with a big crack in it. 'but I'm still
    thinking about it!!![p]Anyway, instead of using your brick, you might be able
    to get by using a semi-thin (an inch or so) wooden block
    with a hole drilled in it for your thermometer. I used one
    last night while cooking chicken wings at a steady 290 degrees. The wings were great even if my makeshift
    temperature mount looked somewhat shabby. This should
    get me by until my slide top arrives. Then I guess
    I'm back to considering drilling.[p]Let me know what you decide![p]
    KenW

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    KenW,
    Welcome to the forum, it's good to see you here.
    JimW