Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken not done at 170 degree

Options
Shah
Shah Posts: 4
edited January 2015 in Poultry
Hi all, 

I have my LBGE since Jan 05th ... loving it as expected!  I read that chicken drumstick would be best at 170 degree internal temperature, cooked at 350 - 400 degree.  I have tried it twice but both times, the chicken drum-sticks were not cooked all the way through (blood was oozing out) and I had to put them back on the grill for some time ... the drumsticks off course turned out great once I took them out the second time!! 

Quick question for you guys ... what internal temperature is best for chicken drumsticks/thighs at what temperature?

Thanks in advance!

Shah
Pasadena, CA/LBGE

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    What temp probe are you using to check, and is it calibrated?
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I like my full size drumsticks at 180 or even 190. Now, I'm drowning them in buffalo sauce when they come off but this has become a favorite of ours. Drumsticks are always juicy. I go raised direct at 400 degrees. 20 d sticks take about 40 mins. Good luck and welcome.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

Welcome and congrats on the egg.

First question - what type thermometer are you using and has it been calibrated?

You can check calibration in a pot of boiling water on the stove (should be 212'F at sea level).

170 seems really cooked - sometimes the egg crisps the skin and all the juice is inside when you probe/cut it.

When you say bloody I'm guessing really pink juice (blood is thick).  I've also heard that depending on the freshness of the chicken can affect the juice colour.

If your thermometer checks out okay at 212 and you trust it your chicken is perfectly safe to eat at 170'F

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• butert
    butert Posts: 202
    Options
    Make sure temperature reading is taken without touching any bones.
    Cooking on a XL BGE from Allendale, Mi.
  • Shah
    Options
    Thank you guys, for your quick response, appreciate it!

I am using the Thermoworks Pro-Series thermometer.  I did not calibrate it, assuming it came calibrated ... 

@BigWader - yes, pink juices were coming out of the drum-sticks ...  I will calibrate the thermometer to ensure the readings are correct ... 

@butert - I did ensure the probe was inserted into the meat of the biggest piece.

Looking forward to many many great cooks on the egg ... I already had successes with tri-tip and steaks but the drum-sticks are giving me headaches ... thanks for all your advise!
  • Shah
    Options
    Thanks all for the welcome ... this forum is awesome!!  Have been reading a lot of the posts ... all the posts seem helpful!
  • Shah
    Options
    @ksmyrl - My liking for internal temperature might be like yours ... 

Let's see what transpires from the calibration test and next cooks ... 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I do 180 got dark meat and never have any issues.
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Welcome. You can find a butt load of information here
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I agree chicken legs can be technically over cooked but still moist and delicious.  Generally cook everything to temperature but chicken legs go on aroun 300 -325º F for two hours indirect and always come out pretty much perfect.

Gerhard

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i never cook drums but with wings and thighs i like the texture better around 185 to 190. with these im cooking for texture, not for safety reasons. breast meat i shoot for low 160's. once the chicken is safe to eat its up to you to determine what final temp you want
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    There's not much blood left in a chicken at the grocery. A bunch of us mangled chickens this weekend in the throwdown to confirm this :)

A lot of people like their thighs cooked more than the breast but once you're above 165 you should be safe.

Welcome!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    blind99 said:
    There's not much blood left in a chicken at the grocery. A bunch of us mangled chickens this weekend in the throwdown to confirm this :) A lot of people like their thighs cooked more than the breast but once you're above 165 you should be safe. Welcome!

Yep, the only blood I found in mine came from my finger!

Welcome, sounds advice above.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @theyolksonyou‌ OW!! I hope you win this throwdown if only so you can make a rule for the next one - no sharp objects allowed for prep work :)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I have always done 160 white meat and 180 dark meat. Always have good results.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Here is an interesting article:

It could be perfectly safe, but it is not appetizing.  I usually try to get the dark meat to 180 or so.  FWIW- I found this to be worse when the chicken has been frozen.  I have cooked to 190 internal and still there was some red near the bones.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    It is very likely that what you took for blood was actually fluids seeping from the marrow at the bone ends. This happens a lot w. factory chicken. Their bones are really thin, and when cooked the marrow in the leg bones expands and there is seepage. It only looks like blood.

Because poultry tend to be contaminated with salmonella, there is a lot of concern about cooking it to high heat. For safety reasons, this is not necessary. If the meat is above 145 for a few minutes the pathogens die off. The usual safe temperatures, 165 and above destroy the "bugs" in mere seconds.

I've tried sous vide chicken at around 150F. The inside of the breasts were still slightly pink. I didn't have and health problems, but I very much disliked the texture. So now I aim at at least 165, and legs and thighs seem fine even at 185.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    gerhardk said:
    I agree chicken legs can be technically over cooked but still moist and delicious.  Generally cook everything to temperature but chicken legs go on aroun 300 -325º F for two hours indirect and always come out pretty much perfect.

Gerhard

there's that elusive, murderous fork again. Can't believe they haven't caught up to him yet.