Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Other F.D Southside Fans Here?

Options
I ran across Famous Daves Southside bbq sauce a few months ago at Menards. I tried a bottle and been hooked since. The problem is that others must like it as much. Menards always seems to be out when looking for it or have very few left compared to other Famous Daves sauces on the shelf. Any grocery stores that carry F.D don't seem to stock Southside. I'm absolutely terrible on explaining how stuff tastes but it has a slight vinegar taste to it. I gave a bottle to my cousin a few weeks ago to try out. His text response, "It's different but I like it!". I like it because it doesn't taste like every other bbq sauce out there. If you run across it give it a try. It's awesome with chicken.
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Must be specific to Menards as Famous Daves website doesn't even list it. Can you post a picture of the description on the bottle?

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I could only find it on Menards web site as well, and some references to it in their menu at restaurants. 

Looks like you can order it online from Menards:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt‌ Thanks! Will definitely check the website for availability

Minnesota
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Sounds good, like a mild hot sauce mixed with a BBQ sauce. I'll be on the look out for it.

NW IA

• WeberWho
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @Brisket_Fanatic‌. It has a good vinegar/hot bite to it. I'll grab a few bottles for ya at F.F

Minnesota
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Thanks, I have Menards close by, I bet it's good on some wings

NW IA

• WeberWho
    Options
    Definitely on wings/drums

Minnesota
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Just as well I've never heard of "Famous" Daves. Or seen a Menards. At 610 mg of sodium per 2 tbls, I won't be looking for this stuff anyway.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited January 2015
    Options
    First of all I must declare that I like Menard's over Lowe's and Home Depot all 3 of which are within easy driving distance for me. Annually I probably spend at least $1,200 at Menard's and $50 at the other two. Yes, Menard's is my go to big box store. OTOH in the past 5 years I think Menard's has cheapened itself by trying to carry "everything" and ours now has a line of grocery products, frozen goods, drugs and obviously discounted crap that they fought to buy over stores like Dollar General and Big Lots. Not being nasty, but last year for instance they had some price breakers that were OUTSTANDING price discounts, but if you checked the "best by" dates some of the things were beyond the dates and others were just days away! I'm sure if Menard's was selling Famous Dave's sauce it was a close out and it is unlikely they would carry it again until the next warehouse close out auction occurred. As for Famous Dave's...We had 2 of the restaurants here a few years back for like 3 years and I ate at one on my nickel ONCE and against my will at at other one also ONCE. Both places went belly up! CRAPPY food!  Not sure what Dave was famous for, but surely NOT his BBQ. One last thing...Dave supposedly was an avid egger at his home!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    RRP said:

First of all I must declare that I like Menard's over Lowe's and Home Depot all 3 of which are within easy driving distance for me. Annually I probably spend at least $1,200 at Menard's and $50 at the other two. Yes, Menard's is my go to big box store. OTOH in the past 5 years I think Menard's has cheapened itself by trying to carry "everything" and ours now has a line of grocery products, frozen goods, drugs and obviously discounted crap that they fought to buy over stores like Dollar General and Big Lots. Not being nasty, but last year for instance they had some price breakers that were OUTSTANDING price discounts, but if you checked the "best by" dates some of the things were beyond the dates and others were just days away! I'm sure if Menard's was selling Famous Dave's sauce it was a close out and it is unlikely they would carry it again until the next warehouse close out auction occurred. As for Famous Dave's...We had 2 of the restaurants here a few years back for like 3 years and I ate at one on my nickel ONCE and against my will at at other one also ONCE. Both places went belly up! CRAPPY food!  Not sure what Dave was famous for, but surely NOT his BBQ. One last thing...Dave supposedly was an avid egger at his home!

@RRP‌ Unless Menards has had closeout on Famous Daves the last 7+ years. Menards is known for Famous Daves sauces around Twin Cities. Maybe more less that it's bottled in the Twin Cities. You can find it under $2 on sale and beats ketchup all day long. I don't mind the grocery. You can find good deals on cereal, peanuts, sauces, soups, etc. Now if they could only clear out their garbage tools. What the hell is Masterforce?

Minnesota
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    LOL - touche' my friend! Maybe your store's buyers just started covering ours down here. Too bad they didn't come look around since I failed to mention that our Menards is under 400 feet from a SUPER Walmart store and 300 feet from an ALDI store.  Some one will be eating Menard's lunch so I guess the $2 a bottle FD sauce might help it go down, huh? LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    @RRP It would be interesting to taste real Famous Daves grub. It's hard to eat bbq at any franchised joint. Even when you visit Kansas City and asks locals about Gates BBQ 9 out 10 will tell you that the original location is the only place. The other franchised Gates are a skip. I've never paid for a Famous Daves meal. I just buy the sauce. Famous Daves won the American Royal best sauce award in the past and some other bigger comps. My dad bought me a bottle of ketchup so I can keep it in my fridge since I won't buy it! Worth grabbing a bottle for $2 anyways

Minnesota