Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- the real reason you want a Sous Vide- "Chicken Parm" in under 15 minutes

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
edited January 2015 in EggHead Forum
And that includes prep and clean up. We do a batch of SV chicken breasts most Mondays and use them in various cooks throughout the week. I'm eating low carb to burn off the holiday goo so it's nice having quick proteins around the house. We did pizza night last Saturday (I had a salad) and we had some ingredients left. TFJ's homemade sauce, some fresh Mozz, and some basil. So tonight I seared a refrigerated sv Breast, put sauce on it, a little fresh Mozz and broiled until bubbly. The broil took about 6 minutes and I cleaned off the cutting board and counter top and put everything away with time to spare. The chicken was juicy and perfectly warm when it came out of the broiler. Try that with reheated grilled chicken!

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Looks legit.  I finally got my PolyScience from storage.   :D   Very ready to do something...
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Stupid simple but damn it looks good. I need to do more SV chix breasts. Great idea.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • was super simple but turned out really good for a 15 minute meal. We do 4-6 breasts most mondays. you can use them in anything. Fajitas one night, chicken parm the next, stir fry the next. 

The hero cooks are fun on the SV but it's really a great everyday tool to have in your kitchen. If you are one of those people who never has time to cook a good meal during the week...SV is for you. Drop a steak in when you go to work in the morning, pull it, sear it and eat it in under 5 minutes. rewarming chicken takes minutes and you can season it any way you like.

• mikenb
    mikenb Posts: 10
    Did you sear the chicken on the egg or in a pan? Just wondering how you got the nice looking brown crust on it. Great post, too.
  • What time and temp are you SVing the chicken? The last ones I did we're a little rubbery. Did them at 140 for about 2 hours. Thanks
    Austin, TX
  • mikenb said:

Did you sear the chicken on the egg or in a pan? Just wondering how you got the nice looking brown crust on it. Great post, too.

Pan. 30 seconds a side.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited January 2015

What time and temp are you SVing the chicken? The last ones I did we're a little rubbery. Did them at 140 for about 2 hours. Thanks

147 is the number for chicken Breasts. Use the charts, Luke!

1-4 hrs is good for breasts.
  • Thanks, Obi
    Austin, TX
  • Cen-Tex:  I Googles several SV cooking charts, but didn't find any really great ones.  Would you mind posting links to your favorite "go to" SV charts?
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Fantastic step by step…thank you.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited January 2015
    Just realized the 1st photo of the clock didn't post. Think I did 2 pics of the unseasoned SV chicken instead. Damn phone. Anyway, I started. At 7:03 and finished with a clean kitchen at 7:17
  • Cen-Tex:  Do you season your chicken before SVing?
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Cen-Tex:  Do you season your chicken before SVing?
    never. I like to be able to use it for whatever I want throughout the week. It takes flavor very well after the SV. My favorite is still just salt, pepper, sear. It works great for fajitas, stir fry, Mediterranean, Greek, bbq grilled chicken, whatever you want to do. It's also really, really good to use in chicken salad. The texture is perfect for it.

• Cen-Tex:  I Googles several SV cooking charts, but didn't find any really great ones.  Would you mind posting links to your favorite "go to" SV charts?
    Here is the one I use. It came with my SVS. It's taped up inside a cabinet door above the SV

• Did you mean to attach a link?  I need to find the booklet that came with my SVS!
    Kelley 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    @EggObsessed - Here's a good chart. There is also a PDF on there you can print out.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    was super simple but turned out really good for a 15 minute meal. We do 4-6 breasts most mondays. you can use them in anything. Fajitas one night, chicken parm the next, stir fry the next. 

The hero cooks are fun on the SV but it's really a great everyday tool to have in your kitchen. If you are one of those people who never has time to cook a good meal during the week...SV is for you. Drop a steak in when you go to work in the morning, pull it, sear it and eat it in under 5 minutes. rewarming chicken takes minutes and you can season it any way you like.

Alright so my mind is made up I'm going to add sous vide to my cooking arsenal. This post makes it ez to take the leap. I know there a lot out there and I'm sure you have not tried them all. However can you recommend one? Personally I like the idea of the a nova with adjustable clamp. We are a family of 3and our mid week cooks are light. Thanks cen tex!
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• @DMW:  Thanks so much for the link!  I'll print it up and place it near my SV machine.
    Kelley 
  • grege345
    Does anyone have the sansaire?

• Did you mean to attach a link?  I need to find the booklet that came with my SVS!
    Yeah- I guess it got blocked. Use DMW's. It's really good.

• grege345 said:
    was super simple but turned out really good for a 15 minute meal. We do 4-6 breasts most mondays. you can use them in anything. Fajitas one night, chicken parm the next, stir fry the next. 

Alright so my mind is made up I'm going to add sous vide to my cooking arsenal. This post makes it ez to take the leap. I know there a lot out there and I'm sure you have not tried them all. However can you recommend one? Personally I like the idea of the a nova with adjustable clamp. We are a family of 3and our mid week cooks are light. Thanks cen tex!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have the Sous Vide Supreme and the Gen 1 Annova. I prefer the SVS for everyday use by far. It's silent, you don't have to add water on long cooks, and there are no moving parts to wear out or clean. The immersion circulators are great because you can use different sized containers to cook in. Outside of that, they are loud, you have to add water every day (sometimes a few times a day) on longer cooks, and they have moving parts that need to be cleaned and they can wear out. If you are cooking for under 6, I recommend the SVS. I have used my Annova once for a large catering job we did. It kept a 45 gallon cooler of water hot for 5 hours. It was amazing. That being said, I have not used it once at home because the SVS is so simple (and quiet). 

After seeing all the cool circulators on here after I bought my SVS I actually thought I might have made a mistake by having a contained unit. I thought I was missing out on the fexibility of using larger or different containers to cook in. All said and done, I'm glad to have them both but the SVS ends up getting 95% of the work (and I have the small one). You can easily cook for 6 on the Demi that I have- probably 8-10 on the full size SVS. 

• aem
    aem Posts: 146
    grege345 said:
    Does anyone have the sansaire?
    I got one from their initial offering.  LOVE IT.  I typically use it in a stock pot but have tried it in a small ice chest with excellent results.  The longest cook I've done is a few hours - I haven't braved a 72 hour short rib cook yet.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    @grege345 I have the Sansaire as well . . only done 4 cooks, but I Love it so far.  Easy to Use, Slick Controls and Feels like Quality.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Just got my Xmas present a Anova precision last night made a 2" thick sirloin man that was good but next time instead of searing in a cast iron pan gonna do it on the egg

Tonight I'm doing a butternut squash soup with onion and Granny Smith apple

I can't wait to do more with it
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • grege345
    Thanks cen tex. I know the SVS is not even an option. Swmbo is anti anything that stays on the countertop. We don't have a kitchen aide cuz she refuses to leave it on the counter. So it will have to be a sansaire type. :(

• grege345 said:
    Thanks cen tex. I know the SVS is not even an option. Swmbo is anti anything that stays on the countertop. We don't have a kitchen aide cuz she refuses to leave it on the counter. So it will have to be a sansaire type. :(
    now worries. You will enjoy either. We do put ours away when we aren't using it but we also have a dedicated appliance closet for all the toys :)