Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs Again?

Jeepster47
Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
Loaded up the egg with Rockwood lump and fired it off.  Added the DigiQ as soon as the lump was started.  Installed the woo, plate setter, grill, and a fist full of pecan.  Then set the DigiQ temp for 225 ... darn grill came up to 225 with no overrun ... first time for everything!  So, bumped it up to 250 and went inside to prep the meat. 

Cut a St Louis cut spare rib rack in half.  Very, very lightly coated them with Dukes mayo, coated one with Dizzy Pig Raging River rub and the other with Oakridge BBQ Dominator rub.  Cut the loose piece of meat ( diaphragm?) off the rack and coated it with Dominator rub.  Went to put the ribs on the grill and noticed my nice clean plate setter that went through a clean burn the last time shinning up at me ... damn it.  Covering a hot plate setter with aluminum foil is an interesting exercise ... also added a drip pan.  Okay, now the ribs (and extra piece of meat) are on the grill ... also a Maverick pit probe, so I could monitor from afar.

Checked on the ribs at three and a half hours ... everything looked good, so I rotated the ribs.  Also pulled the small piece of meat and had it as a snack.  It wasn't juicy, but it wasn't dried out either ... better than throwing it away.  At four hours two sweet potatoes coated with olive oil were added.

At about four and a half hours the dome temp started climbing, although the DigiQ and Maverick said the temp at the grill was still 250.  Did some futzing until I noticed that the fire had burned towards the front of the egg.  I place the BGE plate setter leg towards the back of the egg, thus there is an opening right under the dome thermometer.  With today's low and slow, the fire had moved from the middle of the lump pile towards the bottom vent.  Thus, the dome thermometer was now directly in the draft of hot air off the front of the lump.  I ignored the dome temp and let the DigiQ do it's job.  For future low and slows, I'll place the plate setter leg directly under the dome thermometer and start the fire a little more towards the back of the egg.  And, ignore the dome temperature.

At the five hour point the ribs were coated with Red Mud sauce on the meat side.  The ribs were done at six hours ... used Mickey's bend test.  The sweet potatoes were close, so gave them a gentle zap in the microwave ... looks like close to three hours would be correct for 250 degrees.

Serving plate pic:

And, a dinner plate pic to show the smoke ring:

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

Comments