Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - SV Duck breast with BS and taters

Options

This has nothing to do with football. Just happened to see duck breast at HEB so picked one up.

SV at 141°F x 2hrs. Seasoned with DP Red Eye. Seared in a CI pan . Duck cracklins were a great chefs snack while I was cooking!

Seared the Brussels sprouts in some duck fat, dusted with Volcano Dust and Julio's. The potatoes were also fried up in duck fat. I could probably eat a meal of just the cracklins and the taters. I'll probably SV the duck breast at 135°F for about an hour next time.\image

Oh, I made some bread too. Used Spring Chicken's recipe posted recently. It was amazing - nice crust, great crumb. But I used a small DO (Lodge #10) because I underestimated how much the bread would rise. The bread is just a bit dense, but not in a bad way. i'll also use less salt next time. image

Thanks for looking!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Boo yah. Love your cooks
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Once again =D> =D>

I thought this whole forum was full of BS :-S
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Nice!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Duck fat for the win! Looks delicious.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thanks fellas! I may leave the skin on next time and see how it turns out.

@blind99‌ - love me some duck fat. Is Fat Doug's still open? They used to make fries in duck fat on Fri and Sat. Par-fried then fried again. Best fries ever.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice, I need to try some duck dishes.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • blind99
    Options
    Hot Dougs just closed a few months ago! It was as popular, and as good, as ever, but he got tired of doing it.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Nice work as usual, we don't expect anything less from ya!  That'd be a big drop from 141F/2h to 135/1h, was it mushy/dry?  Looks succulent from here. I've heard duck breast is also dark meat? 
    canuckland
  • caliking
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Hot Dougs just closed a few months ago! It was as popular, and as good, as ever, but he got tired of doing it.

NOOOOO! I really liked that place. Hope he does great with his next venture.

@Canugghead - different sources on the interwebs recommended different times 135ish for about an hour seemed to be the consensus, but I figured I would try !41 and see what happened. The tapered end of the breast was a tad rubbery. The thickest part of the breast was wonderful. I figured if I'm going to sear with the skin on next time, I'll SV at the lower temp.

Duck breast is "dark" meat, but the texture and flavor are somewhat like chicken or turkey breast. The flavor is more robust though.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    caliking said:
    ... The tapered end of the breast was a tad rubbery. 
    Any chance the tapered end was not fully submerged?  I wonder because rubbery texture could mean undercooked. 
    canuckland
  • caliking
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @Canugghead‌ - I used the rack that came with SVS Demi to keep the packet 3-4" underwater. Maybe I'm not describing the texture correctly - it actually seemed a bit overcooked at the end. That's why I thought I would try the shorter time at lower temp next time.

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    I did the same thing the other day.

Served with a duck sauce glaze.
    It was good.
    Duncan, SC
  • blind99
    Options

@mross very nice!!

@caliking yeah that place was amazing.  it was like getting a gourmet meal on a bun.  If you're ever coming through Chicago, drop me a line.

Foie Gras and Sauternes Duck Sausage with Truffle Aioli, Foie Gras Mousse and Fleur de Sel

they've still got the last menu online:  http://www.hotdougs.com/specials.htm

• caliking
    Options

@mross - that's a fine meal! Your duck breast looks better (thicker) than mine did.

@blind99 - will do. We visit every 1-2 years for old times' sake. It still feels like home in some ways :)

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Looks fantastic!