Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoked steelhead - amaze-n-smoker

Options
Legume
Legume Posts: 14,615
edited January 2015 in Seafood
Got an amznsmkr for Christmas, finally tried it out last night.

I didn't like the farmed salmon at Costco and they didn't have any sockeye, so I went with the steelhead trout - it was farmed but has much better color and flavor than the farmed King salmon that Costco usually carries.

I skinned and portioned it, then brined with salt, brown sugar and a full thumb-sized piece of fresh grated ginger for about 5 hours followed by a 10 min soak/rinse.

First time messing with the smoker, I bought a 20lb bag of apple pellets and used those. It was 33 and raining when I set up the egg and it was clear the pellets weren't going to generate any heat, even lit in both ends, so I lit a small bit of the leftover lump in the XL. I decided I didn't want cold smoked anyway, I wanted a hot smoked steelhead that would be close, but not all the way to salmon candy.

What I found was that to keep the temp manageable, I had to shut down the vents to the point that the amznsmkr wasn't getting enough oxygen, so I eventually abandoned that and just dropped pellets down in the lump every 30-45 min. I just hasn't thought this out fully. Next time.

I glazed the steelhead 3x with a mix of bourbon, grade B pure maple syrup and a bit of honey. It smoked @ ~175 for 5 hours and tastes great - not too sweet, not too smokey, firm, not dry.

Comments