Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to cook a lot of chicken thighs on a Small BGE ?

Options
What are the tricks to cooking a lot of chicken thighs on a small BGE ? 

I'm used to cooking them on a large, but will be visiting family who has a small.  

Comments

• otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    I bought a smaller grate and some small clay pots to make a 2 tier.
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options

About same approach as @otter-although I used 3 copper fittings to elevate the second grate. My second grate is a weber charcoal grate-BGE dealer also sells webers so there were a few options to choose from.  Works just fine-need to be careful if trying to mess with the food on the lower level when adult beverages are involved. FWIW-

BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Here's the extended grid I use on my small:

The one thing I don't like about it is the legs collapse fairly easily. And it isn't like the BGE extended grid where you can spring the legs into the grid below. However, for the size, I now just lift the whole thing off when I need to re-arrange the level below.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Use boneless thighs?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Depending on how many you are cooking you could always start early and trade them out as they finish. Wrap them in HDAF and put in the oven until all are complete. I'd also recommend boneless thighs as they'll probably cook faster.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    You could look at tying them up to keep them from spreading out  and possibly squeeze a few more on to a single grate.  How many are you trying to cook on a small?
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i dont know if this would work with thighs but stacking wings in a fry basket works well. this was over 20 wings in a mini

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1159852/who-needs-an-xl

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    So many creative ideas!   Thanks for the welcome lousubcap. 

DMW, that small BGE Grill Extender looks like the best option.  I thought the Big Green Egg company made one for the small but I don't see it on their website.

zmokin>> How many are you trying to cook on a small?

Haven't decided on total #.  I want to make a bunch for family member with little time to cook.  Then vacupack and freeze them.  

I was thinking of doing some thighs with this recipe: 

plus some regular grilled ones.  

DMW >> I now just lift the whole thing off when I need to re-arrange the level below.

lousubcap >> be careful if trying to mess with the food on the lower level when adult beverages are involved. FWIW

Sounds like good counsel.

• Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    Received this Grill Extender from Freds via Amazon,  but will be returning it: 

Very sharp edges. Bloody finger-tips would ensue.  It needs an hour in a stone tumbler machine. 

I thought that Big Green Egg made a small grill expander, but I can't find it.

Could someone post a pic of their home-made small grill expander? (or describe how they made it?)