Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brined Pork Loin

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
So Costco had pork chops and/or loin on sale for $3.50 off per package when I was there on Monday. I picked up what I thought was a 5# loin section. It looked like the butcher had tied it nicely for me already. I didn't really examine it closely and turns out it was 2 pieces tied together.

Oh well, I gave it a 12 hour bath in a basic brine and about 18 hours to dry. I then rubbed it with Spicy Pork Rub from Charcuterie that I made without the salt. I told myself that as long as it wasn't windy this afternoon, I was going to egg it. This afternoon it was 13*, but no wind. I lit the small egg and wheeled it up close to the door on the deck.

I got it setup 375* indirect and let it run for about an hour, then added a bit of cherry wood. I got my son to hold the tray with the pork loin and I was able to load it up without setting foot outside. :)

It's cold, but having this side of the house south facing made it bearable.

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    Looking good!!
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Standing by brother.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    It looks great. I was waiting for you to say that you meat glued it. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
  • DMW
    Options
    The pork loin(s) turned out pretty good. My wife made awesome potato stackers, half red potatoes, half sweet potatoes. And my neighbor made a key lime pie that was awesome.\

Not too bad for a Thursday night...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Good Thursday fo sho.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Definitely nice for a Thursday! Better than the Mexican joint we ate at tonight.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    It looks really nice. I bet the pie was good as well. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I would eat everything but the pie. Nice Thursday or any day meal.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GoVols
    GoVols Posts: 216
    Options
    Great looking meal
    Tim Rickman,Tn.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nicely done man! Great color on the loin. Love me some homemade Key Lime Pie.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Excellent. :-bd
    Funny how people on the forum make similar food. Sometimes everyone is doing butts or spatchcocks etc. etc.. I'm currently doing a stuffed pork loin. Similar temps here, but the wind is blowing. Whiteout conditions earlier caused a 10-15 car pileup and shut the highway down. Slipped and busted my ass putting the loin on the egg. I'll post about it when I post my cook.

Great looking meal @DMW‌, it's pretty cool you egged without going outside. You're the man.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I'd eat everything ... including the pie.  The loin looks great.  At what IT did you pull it?  Isn't cherry wood unusual for pork?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I would eat the entire pie! 

• DMW
    Options
    Thanks guys. There was one piece of pie left after dinner. I asked my wife if she would leave me if I got fat again. Her reply was "I didn't leave you the first time". We didn't have left over pie to put away...

@Jeepster47 Thanks, I pulled it at 145*. Normally I pull pork loin around 138* and let carryover finish it, especially when cooking at higher temps. However this time since it was two loins tied together, and I didn't do the prep, I took it to 145*. I figured the brining would keep it juicy even if I took it higher than usual, and it did. Cherry is one of my favorite smokes for pork loin/chops.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks awesome DM! Meat glue would have been gold here!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • AintEZbeingme
    Options
    Youre correct. Not bad for Thurs. nite meal.  Definately beats concession stand burger/fry meal I dined on last nite at local HS ballgame. Love key lime pie.
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

Nice cook. Tell me about those potatoes please sir....

:-bd
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • DMW
    Options
    @Chubbs - Thanks! The potato stackers were really good. I saw someone else post on the forum about them and knew they were in our future. My wife took care of them, so I let here pick the recipes.

She used this one for the sweet:
    Since we didn't have coconut oil on hand, she used all butter, and it was all regular butter, not organic...

And for the regular potatoes, this one:
    But we used red potatoes since that's what we had rather than yukon. You get lots of nicely crunchy parts with these, really good and I'm sure we will be playing with the concept more.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Great looking hunk of meat!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DMW
    edited January 2015
    Options
    So here was what happened to what was left of the pork loin. Diced it up and mixed with slaw mix and a sriracha+honey sauce.

The stuff on top of the rice was a Thai curry coconut milk thing from a box along with veggies SWMBO mixed up and made. Wasn't too bad for a box thing. 

I'm thinking eggrolls are my favorite way to use any leftovers.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    DMW said:
    Not too bad for a Thursday night...
    I would say not too bad for any night of the week. Looks outstanding =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JNJGoeders
    Options
    Looks AMAZING!  Yum!
    Iowa, 1 BGEXL, 1BGEMiniMax, a truck, a camper and some horses and atvs :D Let's play!
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    That's freaking awesome! If there was even the slightest-snow-ball-chance-in hell I would make the drive back to Pennsylvania---I'd ask for an invite! :-bd
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC.