Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To brine or not to brine

ajd2
ajd2 Posts: 4
I smoked a Boston Butt for 15 hours. It was nice and tender and I was able to pull the pork apart with just a fork, just the way I wanted to. The only issue I had was the inside did not have much of a flavor. It didn't have a smoke flavor or much of any other flavor but It was very tender. 

I didn't brine it. Would that have helped?. I have seen where some say not to brine a Boston Butt and others said you should

It also stalled at 180 for a very long time. I eventually took it off. I have read about pork temperature stalling. Was I to impatient? Should I have left it on for longer until it did get to 190?

Comments

• That is the question

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Brining it will make it saltier. If you want to add other flavors you can skip the brine and use a finishing sauce after it's pulled imbued with seasonings, salt, vinegar, sugar, etc.
    edited January 2015
    I have injected pork butts with some apple juice and rub.  Helps the flavor a little.

Saucing afterwardswould probably make more of a difference though.

Garnerville, NY
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Brining will make it hammy. IMO, that's not what you want with a butt.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I would inject the butt with a solution just before putting it on the egg. Google Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson BBQ pork injection as it's very good and makes a huge difference.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    +1 on injecting over brining, but it's yours so try whatever you want and let us know how it goes. Injecting is just less hassle to me.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    The next time I do one I an on injecting it. As far as the stall just ouch through it. If anything jack up the temp and that will push it along if your getting impatient.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Try the Dead Guy Sauce I posted the other day. Excellent flavor!

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1175535/thanks-trex-dead-guy-sauce-is-awesome-on-pork

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ajd2
    ajd2 Posts: 4
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be making the dead guy sauce and the Chris Lilly BBQ pork injection. 

I'll be more patient this time and wait it out until it gets to 190. I was starting to question the accuracy of the thermometer. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Don't get caught up on 190. Start probing at 190 and wait till it probes like butter. Should be no resistance to your probe. THEN it's ready. Assuming you're making pulled pork, not chopped.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    That was the injection i used - The Chris Lilliy one.   Guests raved about the pork.

Garnerville, NY
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Brining is best used to infuse and hold moisture in meats that do not have much fat of connective tissue. Butts don't really need it, and all the fat and connective tissue impairs the uptake of the brine.

Traditionally, the flavor comes from mixing the bark into the pulled meat. For me, that means putting on a really good coat of rub, and doing some basting towards the end. I once saw a show where a pro pit master from one of the Carolinas waited until the pork was pulled, and then proceded to add the various rub ingredients to the shred till he got the flavor he wanted. I've tried that, and it was OK, but I prefer a sauce on the meat instead.

I've never had easy to pull pork under 190F, and 205F seems better to me. However, the size of the but makes a difference. My experiences with pieces of butt under 4 pounds is that the outside does dessicate by the time the interior reaches those temps. For butts of that weight, I just go for chopped pork.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    If you want to add flavor as said before the Chris Lilly injection works well. If you cook Compart Duroc pork butts no injection is required and they probe like butter at 195. They are more pricey but the moisture and flavor profile is better.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    + 1 on injecting.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)