Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey breast low and slow

Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,407
edited January 2015 in Off Topic
Glad I found this recipe, sure beat using the egg on a cold night in canuckistan. It's my second attempt at this, came out as good if not better than the egg.

Injected with light brine, rested overnight. Oven box 250F till IT 145F, cranked up to 475F for the finish. Basted with stock in early stage, pan juice near the end, and finished with ghee. Total cook time about 3 hours for the 17-lb bird.

Super moist meat and crispy crackling, topped off with beautiful gravy from the pan drippings...

canuckland

Comments

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

I have been preparing turkeys this way for over 20 years. In Culinary it is/we call a banquet turkey. I recently served 8 turkeys on Christmas day prepped in the same manner. I prepped the turkeys the day before, came into work at 730 am, had the turkeys in the oven at 830 am. Pulled them out of the oven at 11am cooked to perfection and juicy as all get out.

The dark meat can be done a couple of ways other than the video given. They can be prepped the same way and wrapped in tinfoil over the plastic wrap and roasted along with the turkeys. ( they wont take as long). I have also done them in a steamer at work.

I tried to show my mom this method but she insists that cooking the **** out of a turkey is the best way.

• Canugghead
    edited January 2015
    @hondabbq
    For Christmas I did the full recipe ... did the leg roulades in sous vide, then quick deep fry to crisp the skin. For the first time, dark meat including the usually hard-to-chew drumsticks, was gone before the breast!

btw, let me share with you how 'smart' I was 20 years ago:
    Bought a fancy schmanzy Quasar convection microwave, stuck a turkey in it and left the house for apple picking.  Hours later we returned home to a smoky kitchen and the big bird was starting to char. The darn thing could be on fire if it was unattended for another 15-30 minutes ;((  Live and learn.

canuckland
  • hondabbq
    edited January 2015

Did you take the time to rip out the tendons on the legs? I usually don't, takes too long, so we just roll up the thighs. We take the legs and roast then pull the tendons and use the leg meat for various applications.

BTW looks great.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,596
    @hondabbq
    btw, let me share with you how 'smart' I was 20 years ago:
    Bought a fancy schmanzy Quasar convection microwave, stuck a turkey in it and left the house for apple picking.  Hour later we returned home to a smoky kitchen and the big bird was starting to char. The darn thing could be on fire if it was unattended for another 15-30 minutes ;((  Live and learn.

This made me laugh.  Did something similar once a long time ago with one of those upscale combo microwave/convection ovens - totally botched the programming and ended up microwaving instead of convection.  No amount of pre-drying in the fridge or cornstarch would've helped that skin!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

You hit that one out of the park!  That's just tremendous. 

=D>
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Canugghead
    @hondabbq
    (for your amusement, I just edited my post above with an episode!)

Yes I used needle nose pliers to yank out every tendon and incorporated the drums in the roulade. I have all the time in the world!  Just did a dozen of lollipop chickens two nights ago, with every tendon pulled!

canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704

Damn! Those pics need to be in a food magazine!

Lovely color on the turkey breast. Basting with ghee will do that! I can only imagine how awesome the gravy must have tasted. I think gravy is my 3rd most favorite thing in the whole world.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • hondabbq
    caliking said:

Damn! Those pics need to be in a food magazine!

Lovely color on the turkey breast. Basting with ghee will do that! I can only imagine how awesome the gravy must have tasted. I think gravy is my 3rd most favorite thing in the whole world.

Im curious, and yet scared to know what #1 and 2 are?
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Canugghead Great looking bird you got there. I'd like to be able to sit at that table for a meal.

=D>
    Sudbury, Ontario