Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good Article on beef pricing. Get ready to pay up....and get ready for much larger cuts of beef

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    Thanks For Posting
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    There was still cheap beef somewhere?? I remember a prime packer at Costco was $2.39/lb last Feb or March. More than double that now.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • A flat today at Pubix $8.99. I think T bones were on sale for about the same.
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Deckle. Spatchcock. What's next! :)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I have been scratching my head the past few days. People have been posting brisket cooks at record highs on the forum lately. I guess some don't mind the rise in price but this is one pit master who won't pay $4 a lb for a brisket. Period.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Interesting article.  I got a bunch of cookbooks about meat for Christmas, and I'm scratching my head, wondering where all these interesting cuts of meat go that I don't see in the grocery store.  Ground up for hamburger or sausage?  
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Chubbs said:
    I have been scratching my head the past few days. People have been posting brisket cooks at record highs on the forum lately. I guess some don't mind the rise in price but this is one pit master who won't pay $4 a lb for a brisket. Period.

many of us buy them on sale and freeze them. The one I made last week was 1.65/lb. ill stock up when the prices go back down but I'm good for now.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you're on a budget, then cut back on the beef and eat mor chiken.
    I've read a few articles discussing price increases. They claim that the U.S. cattle population is at the 1950's level. And due to extreme weather that decimated cattle, ranchers are not butchering as many cattle so they can grow the herds.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    that will just raise the cost of chicken
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I picked this up last week and have no need for it. As a public service, I'd be happy to send it to the first person that sends me a self-addressed stamped envelope.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    @DMW‌ what a "missed steak"
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Quote from article= Depending on your supplier, you might not have to consider different cuts at all. David McLain, a rep from Ben E. Keith, told me via Twitter, “I’d still like to get some people to try 119’s.” These are whole briskets with the deckle still on. McLain continues that those 119’s are “considerably cheaper right now. We have 1600 cases on hand.”

I assume this is a whole packer?

SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • sumoconnell
    Yes, with deckle... so, the claim is 119's are cheaper by the pound, but you are buying the deckle == more pounds than an equivalent 120. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    ok, I'll ask.  what's the deckle - is that different than the point?  is 120 vs 119 just about flat vs flat+point?
  • We had lunch today at one of the BBQ joints mentioned in the article.  Corkscrew BBQ in Spring, Texas.  It's not a big fancy BBQ restaurant by any means.  In fact, it's an 'outside BBQ joint.'  Yes, you stand in line, order and eat outside.  There are roofs and tables but mostly dirt floor and picnic tables.  The line starts early and the place is open until they run out of stuff to serve.  That's it.

If I was rating it, I would give it about a 7 or 8 on most of what we ordered.  But it's one of those places where the 'regulars' keep coming back, sometimes multiple times a week.  We just had to check it out after seeing the long lines there for years. 

I definitely don't want to go back when it's uncomfortably cool or wet outside.  Might go back for the pulled pork though.  It was almost as good as mine.

Yes, we talked up the Big Green Egg while standing in line. Passed out a card too.

Spring "Some BBQ Joints Are Great If You Can Find Them" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• sumoconnell
    I had to look too.  It's the gnarly linkage to the ribcage..

This came from thirdeye.. he posted this on a much earlier thread.  Seems some folks confuse deckle and point from what I see on the interwebs?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    that will just raise the cost of chicken
    And lower the cost of beef. It's happened before and will happen again. Chicken used to be the "prestige" meat compared to "lowly" beef. Now it's reversed.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    I had to look too.  It's the gnarly linkage to the ribcage..

This came from thirdeye.. he posted this on a much earlier thread.  Seems some folks confuse deckle and point from what I see on the interwebs?
    thanks for posting that - clears it up.  funny how when I pull that picture up photobucket is trying to sell me framed prints, canvas wraps and holiday cards of the brisket anatomy pics.  kinda creepy, but maybe a fun change for next year from the typical holiday card send.  that'll get 'em talking.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,357
    Beef prices are self limiting. When prices go up demand goes down. People look at other lower priced protiens and buy them instead. Ranchers try to balance herds with demand. Disease and weather can reduce numbers naturally and the market adjusts. When meat is cheap they cut back breeding since the market is flooded. What Im saying is that no one has to buy beef, there are other choices. There is a limit to what the majority of people will pay. Ive been on dozens of conference calls with 30 meat buyers of all types, lots of factors into pricing but they know there is a limit to what the masses will pay. Its not gasoline where the consumer has no choice.
    Jacksonville FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    The vegan starter kit is still available...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker