Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse seared filet mignon

CazualWhiteGuy
CazualWhiteGuy Posts: 36
edited January 2015 in Beef
Got a gift card from my parents for steaks from a nice local grocery store for Christmas. Went to see the butcher the other day and asked him to cut me a double thick porterhouse, what I got was a 3.2lb. monster of a steak...

image A little too much for one meal, even splitting it, so I got rid of the bone and did the strip that night and the filet tonight. Wrapped it in bacon and seasoned with pink Himalayan salt, coarsely ground mixed peppercorns, and Cosmic Cow.

imageimage Fired up the small egg and threw the steak on indirect when the egg was around 225*. It was somewhere around -10* in Minnesota today so I wasn't going to mess around with vents much for a short cook like this. I left the bottom vent open 3/4 of the way and had the daisy wheel around 1/2 to keep it somewhere below 300* for the 30 minutes the steak might have taken. Pulled it off at 108* internal temperature and got the egg set up for 550*-600* direct. Seared for about 3 minutes total - 2 minutes on the top, rotating 90* half way, and 1 on the side that had been down during the roasting. Let rest for 5-10 minutes while I got a salad assembled, turned out great!

Minneapolis, MN - 1 Large Big Green Egg & 1 Small Big Green Egg

Comments