Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OFF TOPIC: good sous vide forum? or book?

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
I just got the Anova SV unit . . . excited, but no clue what I am doing.    

I have some cool bookmarks from this site that I can duplicate, but curious if others here can share a trusted resource like a forum link or a book title?  Thanks.
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

A good SV forum? What's wrong with you?? You're already in it!! :)

I found this link helpful in the beginning, to figure out some of the theory and science of SV cooking. This forum has been a superb resource. Folks have done some great SV cooks here, and are very good about responding to queries.

Also, if you google sous vide images, you'll find some charts with times and temps for different proteins. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    Just got mine too, wouldn't mind having a seperate catagory here for SV if the powers that be would add one. 

One a side note, Friday night I got a premarinaded garlic and peppercorn pork tenderloin from Trader Joe's and just tossed it (in the store packaging) into the Anova tub @136 for 2 hours then seared it off on the egg with real heavy oak smoke.  Smoke didn't penetrate much but could tell it was there.  Now, I make pork tenderloin a ton on grills or if forced kicking and screaming I'll use the oven, and I am very good at it.  That being said, this one was a revelation.  Holy S#)t!  I immediately tossed the sides I made into the fridge for later cause I did not want anything else hogging space in my stomach preventing me from eating that entire 1.2 pound tenderloin right then.

Anyway, I usually end up googling "sous vide" + meat type I'm looking at in the store to get time and temp, and make up the rest as I go along.  I did start keeping a journal of all my Sous Vide cooks, so maybe once I have enough built up I'll set up a Egg+SV blog or something.

Pentwater, MI
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    I too got the new Anova and here are some links that I saved:

This is the book that I bought in Kindle eformat: (Highly recommended)

There are bunch of YouTube videos on using the Anova .. just search for Anova Sous Vide on YouTube.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • NDG
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I swear this group never dissapoints! 

@caliking all I know about SV (very little) is from this forum, but sometimes you find this great niche forums (ex: pizzamaking.com got me into sourdough pizza) that really open your eyes.
    @shadownick tenderloin sounds great . . and easy - thanks!
    @fljoemon thanks for the links - checking them out now! 

PS I just realized I made a mistake because I have the Sansaire Unit (not the anova) . . look very similar.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Check out the eGullet forum. It was where the discussion of SV technique got Nathan Myhrvold into the whole "modernist cuisine" project. Very long threads on SV.

Consider Douglas Baldwin's "Sous Vide for the Home Cook." He also has an earlier guide available for free at his web site.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @ShadowNick - try a tri tip using the same treatment you gave that pork tenderloin. Best I've done was using the 15 needle Jaccard, oiled and rubbed then 20 minutes in the FoodSaver marinator before sealing for the bath. A little oil and rub on the roast seemed to be absorbed to add some flavour. Like you three hours at 135º.

Sear has usually been with CI or torch (SWMBO doesn't car for as much smoke) then served with a board sauce.  
    @gdenby has good suggestion, egullet or nom-nom paleo have some good recipes. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Bustersdad
    Options
    @Skiddymarker, @ShadowNick - I did 2 Santa Maria Tri-Tips from Trader Joes on New Years Eve, 3 hours at 130 degrees, then 2 minutes a side on the egg at roughly 600...turned out great
  • NDG
    Options
    whole foods near my house has nice sale on BEEF SIRLOIN FLAP MEAT today . . . gonna scoop a big boy on my way home from work.  Nice cut for Sous Vide?  

Hoping to Sous Vide then Sear on the BGE cast iron.  I will google a few things later, but if anyone has suggestions . . . let me know!
    Columbus, OH