Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SV Fail

Options
Hi All, Just wanted to share a recent SV mishap. I've been cooking SV for a year now with a PolyScience circulator and it has been a breeze. I've done 72 hour bone-in short ribs on numerous occasions at 135 degrees and they've turned out awesome. I decided to try them at 130 degrees for 72 hours. I always double vacuum seal them just in case. This morning, on day 3, I checked on them and the bag was floating. WTH! Upon closer inspection, I noticed there was some air in the bag, not filled like a pillow though. I removed the outer bag and there was air in the food bag as well. I pulled them this evening and the food smells like a dirty baby's diaper. Sadly, I had to toss the short ribs. I'm thinking that 130 degrees may have been a bit too low?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    131* is minimum but I think your problems were caused by the leaking bag

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Markzzz
    Markzzz Posts: 35
    Options
    The bag did not retain any water other than meat juice. I think it was gases from bacteria?
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Markzzz said:
    The bag did not retain any water other than meat juice. I think it was gases from bacteria?
    That is a very likely an accurate assessment.  I would stick with 135 if I were you.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Why cook this way?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I always go with 132. @Terrebandit‌ its an easy way to make sure food is cook exactly how you want it. You can put a steak in for 2 hours at 125 and its safe to eat when you take it out and its 125 every time. Then give it a quick sear for appearance/texture and its ready. Or do long cooks like this one and it helps to make cuts like skirts/flanks very tender keeping them just outside the danger zone and allowing them to slow cook.
  • Markzzz
    Markzzz Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I should have never went below 132*. Ooh well. Live and learn.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Chalk it up to experience and carry on. You spotted the boo-boo in time and pitched the meat. Intelligent folks learn form their mistakes ! :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    I've done shorts ribs just once, at 133.  For my next attempt I plan to go 138 for more ribs like texture rather than medium rare steak like.
    canuckland
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    What everyone else said. Play it safe and above 131.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    132F is the lowest I'd go for over 4 hours.  For ribs I go 135-137F, you're well above the danger range and the connective tissue breaks down better.