Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SV lamb korma (curry) experiment.

Options

Disclaimer - no eggs were lit for this cook.

I got to thinking after someone asked me about grilling meat first then adding it to curry sauce, which is basically how chicken tikka masala was invented in Britain. I don't usually do that, because I think the meat tends to get overcooked when cooked in the sauce, after it has been on the grill. Also, the meat doesn't really But what  if the meat was cooked SV and then added to the curry sauce?

I promised I would cook something for a friend's NYE party, and settled on lamb korma, which is a curry made with garam masala components and yogurt (or milk). Toasted up the garam masala and and almons, then ground it all up. Cumin, black cardamom, green cardamom, cloves, peppercorns, mace (not pictured), cinnamon.

Boneless leg of lamb was seasoned with homemade garam masala, EVOO, and dropped in the SV for 12hrs at 135°F.

Fried some onions, ginger, garlic, the almond spice paste, turmeric, cayenne, salt, coriander, coconut milk, and tomato to make the sauce. I added the lamb when I was frying the onions to brown/sear it. The green bits are blanched mint leaves and cilantro. Used my hand-hammered copper pot.

The verdict - The guests loved it. Cleaned out the pan at the party. The sauce turned out very nicely, but I wasn't that happy with the texture of the meat. When the lamb came out of the SV, it was slightly on the mushy side, so next time I will try letting it cook for 6hours only. The meat eventually turned out kinda dry because it had to cook for some time with the other spices. SWMBO thinks the sauce was hypertonic/hyperosmolar compared to the meat, so that's why it dried out. She may have a point. Next time, I will probably add the meat at the very end after the sauce is finished cooking.

The party was a lot of fun, a lot of food, with some great folks! Happy New Year!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I am so not going to argue with you about Korma. Just sayin' you need dessicated coconut

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I am so not going to argue with you about Korma. Just sayin' you need dessicated coconut
    I totally agree. Desiccated coconut has slightly richer flavor than the coconut milk.  But I had a can of coconut milk that I needed to get rid of, so it fit the bill.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Interesting and intriguing cook for sure. I have never made garam masala from scratch, thanks for your ingredient list for that!  Speaking of lamb leg on the mushy side, it kind of reminds me of this:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1174496/calling-sous-vide-lamb-experts
    Too bad there was no leftover to try if freezing can un-mush like mine!
    canuckland
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    This is an egg forum. ..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,055
    Options
    Looks verrrry tasty! I love experimenting too. Now I'm craving lamb. :D
  • caliking
    Options
    henapple said:
    This is an egg forum. ..
    oh go back to cooking from your recipes...

• caliking
    Options

@canugghead - that thread of yours came to mind when I tasted the end product. Rack of lamb is good after 12 hrs in the SV. Next time I will keep it to about 6 hrs.

If you are interested, here is the garam masala recipe I have been using in the past year. There are many variations, but I like this one form Madhur Jaffrey, as recommended by a friend.

Roast then grind:

Cardamom seeds    1 TBSP
    Cinnamon          2" stick
    Peppercorns     1 tsp
    Black cumin seeds 1tsp
    Cloves               1 tsp
    Whole nutmeg     1/4 of an average-sized one

• Canugghead
    Options
    Thanks.
    canuckland
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    caliking said:

@canugghead - that thread of yours came to mind when I tasted the end product. Rack of lamb is good after 12 hrs in the SV. Next time I will keep it to about 6 hrs.

If you are interested, here is the garam masala recipe I have been using in the past year. There are many variations, but I like this one form Madhur Jaffrey, as recommended by a friend.

Roast then grind:

Cardamom seeds    1 TBSP
    Cinnamon          2" stick
    Peppercorns     1 tsp
    Black cumin seeds 1tsp
    Cloves               1 tsp
    Whole nutmeg     1/4 of an average-sized one
    Cardamom pods or seeds? I see pods in your picture so I assume pods. Just checking since sometimes I buy just the seeds.
    Dunedin, FL
  • caliking
    Options

@yzzi - the Madhur Jaffrey recipe calls for seeds, not whole pods. Most recipes call for the pods.

The korma recipe called for 2 types of garam masala - one which they give instructions for making, the other is your own  "house" blend I guess. The garam masala form the korma recipe mace, no nutmeg, and less cardamom than the Madhur Jaffrey version.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Mace is the outer coat of the nutmeg seed....just sayin'

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Options
    Never knew that, thanks for the amacing info  :\">
    canuckland
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    Bring some to Salado! Thanks John
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I was going to post a pic...@caliking. ..but even drinking it might be too far or rac8ng.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    Options
    True. But the flavors are different. Same plant, two spices.

• caliking
    Options
    henapple said:
    I was going to post a pic...@caliking. ..but even drinking it might be too far or rac8ng.
    step away from the Glenfiddich... you're making less sense than usual. And just post the damn pic!

• caliking
    Options
    egger ave said:
    Bring some to Salado! Thanks John
    LS already played that tune last year :) he made a bangin' lamb curry.