Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some porchetta advice please

Options
So of course we are eating pork today. For the past dozen years or so it's been porchetta in the crock pot. Throw it on low and let it go all day. Always delicious. This year I want to do in the egg. Why not right? It's pork and the egg and pork are best friends. On to the help I'm looking for. 1. Everything I've seen on the Internet a true porchetta is wrapped with pork belly or its a skin on pork butt butterflied and rubbed with herb. Looks great but I don't have that. Maybe another day I'll try that. So do I wrap in bacon? 2. All of the porchetta I've eaten out of the crock pot was at a high internal temp cuz the pork was always turned out like pulled pork. This porchetta I'm doin on the egg I want to be able to slice. So 150° internal for juicy pork? 3. Cooking temp. If I decide to wrap in bacon I presume I will have to do at a higher temp like 325-350 to get the bacon to crisp? I need some help before I get this thing goin. image
LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

Comments

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Do note that the porchetta you cook in the crock pot and the roast you cook on the egg will be very different. I'm partial to the braised version, but everyone has his own taste. Yes, wrap in bacon. I would cook at 325 and pull at 160. 

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Thanks @jlsm‌ ya the bacon wasn't a very hard decision to make lol. I'm thinking of going with a bacon weave maybe. So your saying braise at 325? Definitely not opposed to it. Any suggestions how I go about it? Little chopped celery and oil to get started? Covered? Sear at the start?

• grege345
    Options
    Well I went indirect at 350 with a bacon weave. May have been one of the best things I have ever eaten. Wife was very pleased!!!imageimage

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    That big ball of bacon looks fantastic.
  • Grande_verde_uovo
    Options
    grege345!  That really looks fantastic.  That's something that I want to do!  Are there instructions on how to create one of them on the forum?
  • grege345
    Options
    I don't know how many meals have beennthru the green chamber of greatness but this was amazing. Grande all you need is a pork loin roast and heavily season it and wrap in bacon. Take off at 150°. The seasonings you can find anywhere on the google

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    That looks great! Any sliced pics?
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN