Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Cook Times

Options
stuckman
stuckman Posts: 11
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum

All:

Here's another couple quick prime rib questions.  I've got a 8.25# boneless rib roast to serve 11 people that will go on the BGE tonight.  The rub will be a simple worcestershire sauce, Montreal seasoning and kosher salt combo (plus, maybe a little cayenne for some kick).  Med rare is probably too red for my group so I'm thinking of pulling the roast at 130F and then doing a reverse sear to put some crust on the roast and get the temp up to 140F.

Two questions.

1.  How long will this take to cook (8.25# at 275F dome temp and pull at 130F)?

2.  Will this be pink (medium) and not red?

Thanks for all the help!!

Stuckman

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Couple hours depending on the temp of the roast when you put it on. 140 will not be red at all. Since you are shooting for med- med rare, keep in mind that if you are done early, say an hour or so, you can foil the roast while resting and it will rise in temp 5-8 degrees. Pretty good window to work with. Just keep in mind that you cannot uncooked the roast. Once you reach a temp, no going backwards. Good luck.